PDA

View Full Version : ATPL selfstudy

raven14
15th Aug 2003, 01:56
Ola,

Anybody that has done the ATPL by just studying let's say the Oxford Aviation ATPL books??
I have a Canadian ATPL and am planning to do the JAA-ATPL exams. Just wondering if it would be a good plan to skip the dist. learning course.

Any suggestions ?

Delta Wun-Wun
15th Aug 2003, 01:58
Sorry mate,
But since JAR arrived you cannot just study on your own and then pitch up at the exams. You must be signed off as completing an approved ground school course, be that distance learning or full time.:{

raven14
15th Aug 2003, 02:00
i was told by a FTO in holland that because i already have an ICAO ATPL, I can do the exams without any study's.

dorosenco
15th Aug 2003, 02:34
raven14,

go to my website www.passion2fly.com and then to "Jaa conversions" link. everything is in there mate ...

It all depends on how many hours you have ... Yes, you can do the exams without any study but you still need to be signed off by a CGI (chief groud instructor) depending on your flight time.

:}

Send Clowns
15th Aug 2003, 07:37
Dorosenco is correct that it depends on your hours, so check up on that.

I would however suggest that at the very least you get in touch with a groundschool. You may well find that you need some help, questions answered or even private tuition. These exams are harder than even the Canadian ones which I understand to be fairly thorough.

In fact I have given some tuition to a Canadian ATPL holder converting his licence who understood most of the material but struggled with a few areas.

Send Clowns
Ground instructor, BCFT

FlyingForFun
15th Aug 2003, 15:14
Why not enroll on one of the distance learning courses? They send you a copy of the notes, and then you self-study exactly as you're planning on doing. But you get the support of a school if you need it, and you also get to do a (typically) 2-week brush-up course before the exams.

Believe me, you would not want to do the exams without at least the brush-up. Doesn't matter how many ATPLs from other countries you have or how many hours you have - many questions are there to trick you, and the only way you'll find out about them is from an experienced instructor. (And that's apart from the huge chunk of the syllabus which is not relevant to flying, so having loads of experience isn't going to help you with that either.)

Good luck!

FFF
--------------

Hulk
16th Aug 2003, 02:44
Right,

if you go on a brush up course, they will tell you what you have to know. The brush up course is 80% of the exam, the other 20% are based on your experience.But without any brush up course, you will score only around 60%. with the brush up 80-85%.There is no way even for a very experienced pilot to pass these JAA exams, if you dont know the JAA questions in advances!!!

Gordon Bennet
16th Aug 2003, 09:22
Ask aerotraining in Vancouver about JAR Professional Pilot Studies (it's a book). Harvsair in manitoba are advertising JAA courses.

Gord

Ninety-Nines
16th Aug 2003, 20:45
The book by Croucher that you speak of is great as a supplemental, however, only that. A full course of notes is important as well as the very important feedback questions which show all the tricks in the exam questions!

Raven 14

It all comes down to whether you have accrued Multi Crew time, 500 hours being the magic number. If you have this then you can complete the JAA ATPL exams without attending a course, however, most need the course to get through the incredible amount of knowlegde. This knowledge is not about everyday flying either.

Good luck

Gordon Bennet
16th Aug 2003, 21:44
99s

I thought I saw loads of questions (like, pages of them) - they sure looked like feedback to me! It's a shame though, that the stuff you have to learn is still more geared to pass exams rather than being a pilot.

Gord