PDA

View Full Version : 9/11 Two years later and what if not

Rwy in Sight
14th Aug 2003, 00:48
I had a conversation last night with an aircraft engineer friend of mine regarding the 9/11. The main issue was :what are the consequences to the industry 2 years later and where does it stand now? For exemple he was in the industry and he lost the job right after it.

So please enlight us, by giving your opinions and views on three questions:

What are the main consquences (bankruptcy of long established airlines, strengtheing of low-cost, new fears of flying..)?

What would have happend (in terms of traffic and jobs) if the attack did not involved aircraft and the industry would have to cope only with the severe downturn of the economy?

Would the industry be always so vulnerable in general?

Thanks in advance for your ideas

Rwy in Sight

Hippy
14th Aug 2003, 05:05
One of the consequences was the locking of the flight deck door to all, including ATC personel. Prior to 9/11 controllers would gain valuable appreciation of the task of a pilot through 'familiarisation flights'. We are now faced with a growing generation of controllers who have never been on a flight-deck and safety must surely be the bigest looser in this case.

Avman
14th Aug 2003, 14:03
The industry lost the much-taken-for-granted freedom which made it exhilarating from both the professional and the pax angles. Whilst 911 most certainly had an impact on travel in general but especially from/to and within the USA, I believe this coincided with a general downturn in the economy coupled with years of poor management. Had 911 not happened travel may have been more buoyant but the writing would still have been on the wall for some of the U.S. majors.