PDA

View Full Version : Worst ATC service?

AREA52
13th Aug 2003, 22:37
Ok, we've had some of the best "ATC units" listed, let's now have some of the worst one's, from personal experience of ATCO's and pilot's alike.

I use "ATC units" in the loosest sense!

NigelOnDraft
14th Aug 2003, 19:01
Errr.... FCO, LIN, MXP, NAP are certainly "different" !

NoD

Gonzo
14th Aug 2003, 19:32
I reckon it must be the farmer's lad who was sitting at the Easterly Departures desk yesterday evening giving quite ridiculous instructions to non-existent aircraft whilst the rest of us were trying to do our jobs!

Eh, Point Seven?

Looking forward to it, are you? ;)

Kirstey
14th Aug 2003, 20:39
Dunsfold for me...

When their last weekend. Lazy so and sos didn't even answer my calls! They're a disgrace to your profession! (and the Caf was closed again!)

Hotel Mode
15th Aug 2003, 03:39
CDG for completely failing to use radar vectors, speed control, the 4 runways or any other method for getting sensible spacings on finals, meaning your either up the chuff of a heavy and go around. or leaving gaps too long for one departure but not enough for 2 leaving up to 45 mins ground delays. Send them to LHR for a day.

Point Seven
15th Aug 2003, 04:19
The farmer's boy was very good so I heard. Those good looks, that chiselled jaw, not an ounce of make up was needed to help that fella.

In fact he is so good that he was able to listen to GMC and invent a totally seperate scenario on top. Magic.

Best of the best was what Mr. Producer said.

P7:\

Gonzo
15th Aug 2003, 06:39
best of the best???????????????????

invent a totally seperate scenario

Well, that's what we all say about your controlling, after all!

:ok:

niknak
15th Aug 2003, 06:39
Kirsty - I don't what service Dunsfold profess to offer, but as far as I am aware it most certainly is not an ATC service, nor has it been since BAe pulled out yonks ago. It could be some tosser providing an air ground service pretending to be qualified, or even a FISO service, but neither have the authority to issue instructions to aircraft in the air, so don't take any **** from them.

As for the general gist of this thread, I am not sure that is has any relavance in the UK, it's bound to degenerate into personal or petty squabbles based on 1 or 2 bad experiences.

We all have bad days as atco's and aircrew, but for every bad day I've had, I could give you a tenfold number of examples of poor airmanship or significant errors made by pilots on a regular basis.

Cougar
15th Aug 2003, 10:27
The new controllers in Dili, East Timor. We cancelled IFR, proceeding VFR cos their control steps are 11000 feet at 15Nms, and 6000 ft at 5Nms. Didn;t want to stuff around with trying to fly a circuit from 6000 feet. Of course ATC didn't understand. We basically ended up telling them what we wanted to do, and getting them to agree with us "confirm request approved", "ummm, ok, request approved". Was VMC with only us in the area but gee, made life hard.

Other instance, trying to talk to Mali on HF and getting Bali replying. Then Bali not shutting up and having to change freq's to try and get Mali to talk to us!!

SortieIII
15th Aug 2003, 13:04
I will go with Lagos . A very scary place, thanks to the incompetent ATC. I think you are generally better off doing your own co-ordination in this hellhole!

Timothy
15th Aug 2003, 17:00
The contrast between what we find acceptable at Lagos and what causes major scandals in the LTMA is quite remarkable.

W

Kirstey
15th Aug 2003, 17:18
Nik Nak,

Dunsfold is closed with big Xs all over the runway! poor attempt at humour!

I think rightly people are avoiding naming and shaming UK ATSUs. Althouhgh and ATSU provding an AFIS that tells me "Cleared immediate take off at your discretion" has to figure!

Fox3snapshot
15th Aug 2003, 18:31
Anybody flown through the Mumbai or Karachi FIR'S? Good Luck!

:\

AIRWAY
15th Aug 2003, 18:41
What do you guys think of the Portuguese ATC ?

salzkorn
16th Aug 2003, 02:59
hotel mode....

failing to use radar vectors ???????? I guess you're joking !!!! hahaha !! stop it or I'll die out laughing !!!

shall I remind you that the approaches are only published up to a certain point at CDG ? what comes next ?? you do as you like ?
ok, so be it ! let us controllers watch our screen and see how it goes.... I guess this is where the fun starts !

Not one single pilot knows how it works in the radar room... noone knows our constraints and so on... even the French are not aware of that... so the English....

I always try to do my best to help British crews... who, by the way, sometimes forget they are talking to human beings... but it's not the issue here...
but after reading what I can read here... I think that the British won't be granted any shortcurts, long pushes etc any longer... STANDARD WAY !!! the longest, the best...

I invite anybody who is interested, to visit CDG...
And I agree to visit LHR any time...

granny smith
16th Aug 2003, 16:47
Any comments about the Gulf?:cool:

Fox3snapshot
16th Aug 2003, 18:20
Yeah heard the service is outstanding....especially through the Muscat FIR.

:E

5milesbaby
16th Aug 2003, 19:13
Salzkorn:

Not one single pilot knows how it works in the radar room... noone knows our constraints and so on...

not quite true, there are some who are very clued up on how it works, and some who actually used to do it.

geo7E7
16th Aug 2003, 20:42
How about chinese mainland-BJS/PVG/CAN? Indian sub-continent area are much safer compared to these ones! Make sure you'd have a fluent mandarin speaking crew in the cockpit...at least!;)

West Coast
17th Aug 2003, 01:26
Memphis is consistant in finding the way to the bottom of my list.

PushingTin111
17th Aug 2003, 23:05
But what about Irish ATC particularly Dublin...? It's only getting busier in that little eastern bit of airspace!

Any comments...??

Cougar
18th Aug 2003, 12:42
Didn't think Mumbai were too bad compared to Jakarta etc. The lass we had spoke very very good English (Indian accent but easily understood).

AirNoServicesAustralia
18th Aug 2003, 16:38
Hey there Fox3Snapshot, good to see you're humble enough to nominate Muscat for this thread, ie. The worst ATC service. I didn't think you guys were outstandingly bad, but if you insist. I'll trot over to the Best Atc Service thread and put the case for UAE centre shall I :ok:

Fox3snapshot
19th Aug 2003, 18:57
AirNoServices........well you better hurry up then before I go crazy on this keyboard and beat you to it by putting UAE down in this thread......but that's not very nice is it, harrassing our next door neighbours like that!

:E