PDA

View Full Version : PA-28 Radio Refit

david viewing
13th Aug 2003, 22:34
We are considering the options for replacing the original KX-170 radios in our 1981 model PA-28-161 (public CofA) with more modern kit and wonder if it is possible to take advantage of a modification designed and approved for another aircraft, rather than having to do it all from scratch.

The starting point is to fit two 'flip-flop' Nav/Comms with ILS but I know there are strong arguments to go with GNS 430 etc..

I would be very greatful to have views or experiences from any owners who have already updated similar aircraft.

Thanks.
David.

cblinton@blueyonder.
13th Aug 2003, 22:46
David check your private MSG:ok:

CB

drauk
14th Aug 2003, 19:33
It surprises me that so many people think so highly of the Garmin 430. I wonder if this is because they've moved up from a 10 year old GPS and of course, it is a big improvement over that. But for an interesting view point, written by someone who knows something about engineering, see this (http://philip.greenspun.com/flying/garmin-gps).

A and C
15th Aug 2003, 06:04
I,m not a great fan of the Garmin 430 the main reason being that it trys to pack to much imformation into to small a space.

The 540 has the display space with room for much more that is likely to come along in the near future and would seem a better investment to me.

Having used the Garmin along with a King KX165a NAV/COM I found the audio quality of the King a bit better and feel that the TX range will be better ( but I cant prove that ).

What ever you buy pay the extra and get an avionic cooling fan fitted , a few quid spent now will save you thousands in the future !.

Keef
15th Aug 2003, 09:18
We upgraded the PA28R201 in two stages: first, we replaced one old KX170B with a KX155, which is a very nice, modern flip-flop NAV/COM. It also drives the DME, and includes ILS. That alone was a big improvement.

Then we replaced the other KX170 with a GNS430, and demoted the KX155 to become box 2.

The GNS 430 is very clever: it needs a fair bit of studying the manuals, because much of what it does is NOT intuitive. Above all, you need to program in your route before takeoff. You absolutely still need your paper charts, approach plates, etc - while the GNS430 includes the SIDs and STARS, it's not "approved" for flying them, and anyway includes no vertical guidance.

If you've got a PPL in the right hand seat, and if she's well versed in operating the 430, then it's wonderful :) Flying single-pilot, you'd better have programmed in everything you want, before takeoff.

Would I give up the 430 and go back to two NAV/COMs with no GPS? Never! There are some excellent little wrinkles that make life very much easier: for example, if it's a bit murky, you can get lined up on final by pressing GOTO ENTER ENTER very few seconds until the Track Req is the same as the runway orientation. If you have an engine failure, GOTO NEAREST will give you some ideal suggestions and their frequencies.

Other useful bits: a decent intercom, with separate inputs for each microphone (so incompatible headsets aren't a problem); an avionics master switch (saves turning off ten or so little switches); an avionics cooling fan - stops things fading out on a long trip during hot weather.