PDA

View Full Version : Irish Trip

In Altissimus
12th Aug 2003, 21:42
I'm planning on going to Galway next week and have a few questions:

We'll be departing from sunny Essex, and stopping for a short 'convenience break' at Haverfordwest - thence crossing the sea and routing pretty much direct to Galway. Do I need Special Branch permission from my home field, or from Haverdordwest?

When we return (hopefully the following Friday), where do I send the S.B. request to? Can I return to/via any airfield?

Any tips for Galway, or the Arran Islands?

Thanks.

Keef
12th Aug 2003, 22:45
I think you need SB clearance at your last airport before leaving the UK, and at the first one you land at on the way back in.

Worth checking with SB at Haverfordwest, or with the AD folks who will know the "local" practice.

dublinpilot
13th Aug 2003, 00:05
Haven't been to Galway field or Arran Islands, so can't give any advise there.

But you might find this website useful for your ground based exploration!

Failte Ireland (http://www.ireland.travel.ie/home/index.asp)

david viewing
13th Aug 2003, 00:31
Galway is very friendly and helpful. They have fuel, can get weather and give local advice. There are a couple of hotels near the field but you may have to go into the city if they are full as they were during my visit in June. There is car hire at the field.

It's also ideal as a base for visiting the Aran Is. and Connemara. One thing to do is to look for Alcock & Brown's landing place at Clifden (try and get a GPS fix in advance - I didn't and couldn't find it despite having been there on the ground!). The mountains out there are stunning and you can see so well why the heroes decided that they had had enough.

Do note that the Aran runways are a bit undulating!

You can route direct from Galway to your base in England (You need to give SB notice) but it may be better to break the trip at Weston or Waterford, both very helpful.

Remember you have to file a flight plan for all Irish public airports and that the required notice varies from 'over the RT' to several hours in advance. They are all PPR.

David

down&out
13th Aug 2003, 07:51
I did a lovely trip to Galway from London area a few years ago. Distinctly remember how airspace quietened as we progressed. In fact when I got into Irish airspace, it seemed the FIR controller only had one other aircraft to deal with in the whole country - so routing direct was v straightforward!

As has been said, Galway is very friendly and car hire is available so I'm sure you'll have a great time. I didn't fly on to land at any islands as the a/c I was flying needs a long runway & I was 5 up - but did route over some on the way out and took in the lovely views.

Agree also with comments regarding SB and flight plans. Also don't forget you'll need to clear customs, the procedure will vary depending on your final airfield of departure and arrival in the UK. Check with them to confirm requirements when you are also asking about SB

Whirlybird
13th Aug 2003, 16:00
I flew to Ireland last year. My co-pilot did all the official bits, so I can't remember about SB, but Haverfordwest are used to people flying to Ireland and are very helpful. Galway, as everyone's told you, is really nice...but we had to make quite a few phone calls to get accommodation in the height of the season, so it may be worth booking ahead. I remember Connemara as being the only place in Ireland where you can get Straight oil (as opposed to Ashless Dispersal) - check which you need, and take enough for the trip if necessary. The Aran Islands are definitely worth a look, even if you don't land there. We landed on Inisheer - 500 undulating metres ending in sea at either end. When the wind changed to gusty and at 90 degrees across the runway, we were pacing it out and wondering if we'd get airborne again. You do feel like a pioneer if you land there though. The other place I wouldn't have missed for the world is the strip at Bantry Bay - fantastic scenery, wonderful situation, and lovely people...even if they do charge you £30 for landing there. Don't worry about flight plans; everyone will help you out, and once I filed an airborne one without even being sure I'd done so...they just asked me for the info they needed, and that was it.

Have fun, it's great!

In Altissimus
13th Aug 2003, 20:44
Thanks for the replies everyone.

We're staying with friends - so accommodation is not a issue (I hope!).

Good point about the oil Whirly - I'll take some with me to save any possible confusion I think.

I finally got the orginal SB forms from the link on the Jersey thread and they come with a clear explanation.

Point taken about the Ar(r)an Islands. Sounds like it might just be an aerial sightseeing trip if I'm not happy about the x-winds and length.

ed69
14th Aug 2003, 06:55
hey!

i just came back from a trip to ireland today in a PA28 i can assure u that the SB forms are needed at least 24 hours before brakes off time(to be recived by SB) but other than that i can only agree with all the other guys here-lovely country-great to fly around(incidently we were traveling to Weston airfield about 10nm west of Dublin city center) hope u have a great time!

all the best...
Ed

Flying Lawyer
14th Aug 2003, 20:55
Special Branch
Although it may seem to be a formality, don't under-estimate the importance the 'powers that be' attach to this aspect - and it's much easier to forget than you might think.

Last year, two well-known display pilots (both experienced international pilots) returning to the UK changed their flight plan (airborne) due weather and landed at a small airfield. They could arguably have gone to an airport with SB presence, but simply overlooked the SB aspect. There was a police investigation and they were prosecuted.
They appeared in Court and pleaded Not Guilty - there was an arguable defence in law - and the case was put off to be tried on another day. In the intervening period, we asked the Director of Public Prosecutions to review the case. Fortunately, he agreed the interests of justice didn't require a prosecution in the circumstances and the case was withdrawn.

The consequences of a conviction continue long after a fine has been paid. eg Try explaining to US Immigration that your criminal conviction for a 'terrorism' offence wasn't as bad as it looks. :eek:

LowNSlow
14th Aug 2003, 21:21
In Altissimus you'll only need straight oil if your engine is being "run-in" after an overhaul.

In Altissimus
14th Aug 2003, 22:16
FL:

Point made. I just spoke to Haverfordwest and have already faxed off form GAR-1JAN2003 to them...

LnS:

I thought as much, but I'm quite new to the group and I always forget to take oil (and the owner prefers we use what she supplies), so it was a useful reminder anyhow.

...must stop 'flight planning' and do some work now:rolleyes:

david viewing
15th Aug 2003, 00:14
Flying Lawyer

Very interesting - are you able to provide any further details or reference to the case?

I too have been forced to make a diversion to a non-designated field en route from Ireland, but to one which co-incidentally has a Police presence in the form of a helicopter unit. Like your pilots, SB was not really a consideration in the choice of field when faced with rapidly deteriorating weather and continuing to a designated airport was not an option.

So does any pilot who makes such a diversion risk prosecution, or were there other circumstances like a failure to notify the authorities after landing or something that aggravated the case?

David