PDA

View Full Version : Jersey

GK430
12th Aug 2003, 21:00
I note from the AIP that handling is mandatory.

If you designate the Aero Club, do you have to book in advance and does anyone know their current charges?

Thanks in advance.

140cherokee
12th Aug 2003, 21:07
Assuming you're in something small with one engine. ATC will direct you to the aero club automatically. Landing fee, I think, is £9.00 all in. No need to book handling.

Have a good trip.

PS/ Went to Jersey on a Sunday recently; it was closed! Not the airport, just the rest of the island (ie. restaurants, shops, etc...)

GK430
12th Aug 2003, 21:48
The "closed bit" I know, hence going Saturday! Used to go to EGJB lots - Sat okay: Sunday, nearly ran out of fuel in the hire car and gee that can be a nightmare:{

Thanks for the other Info as do not recall mandatory handling last visit.

Flying Boat
12th Aug 2003, 23:03
GK430

You are correct, as is 140C, the handling is mandatory, however if you are in an aeroplane of 3 tonnes or less you will go to the aeroclub (Official GA Handling Agents), at the threshold end of RWY27, directed by ATC.
If however you are above this weight, you will be sent around the back of the airport to the Exec Handling Agents, Aviation Beauport.

The Aeroclub landing fee is £3 per 1/2 tonne, hence a PA28 (or similar) will be £9. This includes 7 days free parking!

When taxiing, taxi to the top of the small taxiway & park on the grass anywhere in line with other ACs in the large rectangular parking area provided.
The light aircraft parked on the right of the small taxiway are club aircraft, parking to the left of this taxiway can create a few taxiing problems (had a few entertaining views from the bar recently).

The GA desk is open from 07.00 to 21.30, you can get Wx, ATC flight plans & Notam info all from the flying room downstairs.

Jersey isn't closed over all the island on Sunday, the pubs are all open, many restaurants are too, especially the Aeroclub one. £11 for a 3 course Sunday Lunch.

Have a good trip.

FB

Hairyplane
13th Aug 2003, 01:05
So whats the drill then?

Is it correct that you need to give SB 24 hours notice of your intention to land there or can you just lob into Southampton on the day?

Never been, quite fancy it...

HP

Flyin'Dutch'
13th Aug 2003, 01:50
AFAIK you can do either.

But why stop at Southampton and incur a large landingfee.

Fax form to the local copshop (I think that Kidlington is yours for SB purposes) and away you go. I have gone with less than 24 hrs notice as long as they know and you have spoken to them.

Don't forget drawback on the way out and cheap fuel when you are there.

The Jersey clubhouse is nice with reasonable food.

FD

PS Beauport is sumptuous but not for the fainthearted when it comes to settling the cheque! :D

Flying Boat
13th Aug 2003, 01:57
Hairy,

You don't need SB clearance to arrive in Jersey, but you do to leave UK for Jersey.

If I remember you can fly via Southampton on the day, no problem (during SB hours), but if you wish to fly direct from your local airfield you must have approval from your local Chief Constable. Write to him as soon as possible, for a better chance of approval.

Do a search on the subject, a few months ago there was a thread with all this info on it.

FB:ok:

FlyingForFun
13th Aug 2003, 15:23
The whole procedure is also explained very well in Pooleys (I think it's somewhere towards the back?) including a list of SB airfields, and a list of addresses and telephone numbers of Chief Constables if you're not going to/from a SB airfield.

FFF
-----------

GK430
13th Aug 2003, 16:02
Flying Boat: many thanks! Yes i had Christmas Fayre in yr. club facilities 20 months back and very good it was too:ok:

Comments on unpublished taxilane noted - I take it all the W.I.P. is long complete - I recall seeing a PA-** that had fallen off the edge:ouch:

Just hope your fast fog is not around this Saturday.

Last question: Take it a call in advance for handling at Club is therefore not mandatory?

Cheers,

Flying Boat
13th Aug 2003, 16:44
Work has finished but they might rip up the small taxiway again, heard it wasn't laid right.

No need to call the club, just file your flight plan, they have a monitor showing all arriving aircraft (linked to ATC) and as soon as your reg appears on the they are waiting for you.

Can get a bit busy on a nice day.

Have a good trip.

FB

Charlie Fox
13th Aug 2003, 17:40
See link below for info & forms re SB & Customs. No need to give prior info to Jersey just follow the directions on the form.

http://www.hmce.gov.uk/forms/forms/gen-aviation-rep.pdf

In Altissimus
13th Aug 2003, 17:46
CF

Thanks so much for posting that link - I've been searching for the bloomin thing for ages to no avail.

GK430
13th Aug 2003, 18:23
Thanks again FB.

SB will love us - we are not all UK passport holders:*

eyeinthesky
13th Aug 2003, 18:49
If you are thinking of stopping at Southampton, don't forget it's PPR to all non-sched or home-based aircraft. And it costs a bit...!