PDA

View Full Version : Iraqi Airways - Getting it running again

CUNIM
12th Aug 2003, 20:59
I am looking at a means to get Iraqi Airways airborne again in order to avoid a nine hour road journey - been there and done that - not impressed. They desperately need to get communication with the outside world - in both directions.

I believe that BA and KLM have been looking at the possibility of linking to Basra and Baghdad through Kuwait and Amman.

Problems - All Iraqi pilots out of hours on their UK CAA based trained licences - I presume that ALL licenced personnel are in this situatiion. Very professional people but frustrated in the current situation.

Next problem - Baghdad is subject to the odd shoulder launched missile and rifle fire for departures and arrivals - would their flag carrier be fired upon as well? or would they be less vunerable?

Would wet leasing be the initial answer until we get the licences renewed?

What about Jordan/Kuwait/Iraq agreements for operation?

There are hundreds more questions, but I was in Basra and Baghdad in July and they are not happy places - the rebirth of their flag carrier could build their self respect and calm things down. It is really a pain getting to Baghdad at the moment as they still have the odd robbery and highjacking on the roads.

Could I ask whether you could put your thoughts together to see if we can overcome this problem?

I'm thinking of 30 seater wet lease for 3 months or so while we get their licences back. Base and maintenance in Amman/Kuwait initially. I think I can get the necessary funding - fingers crossed.

OzExpat
13th Aug 2003, 22:47
G'day CUNIM! Was great to meet you at the Cardiff Bash. I assume that the airline doesn't have any serviceable aircraft at the moment? If so, the thought occurs to me that, if you can get the funding for the aircraft, the deal should include endorsement, refresher flying, base checks etc., to get the crews back into currency on the aircraft type/s they'll be flying.

Dunno if there'll be too many companies eager to do any sort of lease deal if there's a chance that the odd Stinger will stray into one of their aircraft though. You might be up against it for that, so may end up having to buy aircraft for the airline. Hope there's enough funding for that!

Good luck anyway mate! I sure don't envy you with such a difficult job.

CUNIM
14th Aug 2003, 01:53
Hey OzExpat, yes it was a great evening. I see that BA are to look at having two flights per week to Basra - subject to security. I still think that the rebirth of Iraqi Airways would be a boost for Iraq after forty years of hell.

As far as I can see, the use of Baghdad Airport will only happen when the Iraqis see their life getting back to normal - like electricity 24 hrs a day, telephones, not just satellite ones. Money for food etc. I'll give it next year to get the proper level of safe operations, not 2nd or 15th July 2003!! That was never on the cards.

I was wondering whether there was anybody on PPRuNe who had been there and done that before.

homesick rae
14th Aug 2003, 05:35
If you need someone sorting out the CC side, can help with that!

Good luck.:ok:

HR