PDA

View Full Version : Manchester Outbound Traffic.

Noah Zark.
12th Aug 2003, 06:24
Could you help, please? In the last few weeks, a lot of aircraft which I assume must be on climb-out from Manchester are flying over my home in the western part of Sheffield, gradually turning south east-ish as they climb across the city.
This is apparently a new pattern, as the only a/c I used to see were climbing more to the north of my location, and also heading more easterly.
Is there any reason for this? I am not complaining at all, it's nice to see something half-decent around here once in a while.
Thanks. N.Z.

Fidgell
12th Aug 2003, 16:49
NZ

A couple of months ago there was a large scale change of the airspace to the east, NATS biggest to date, involving Scottish, Manchester and North Sea@LACC.

The old L975 airway from south of Leeds to Otringham no longer exists in its old form and has been bent (for want of a better word) towards the south east to allow a better structure towards Amsterdam. This means Manchester outbounds heading east are now positioned towards the south side of this new airway structure and pass over the north os Sheffield.

All id say is watch out for any Pakistan jumbos...VERY poor climbers, might spoil any washing you have on the line!!!

Exciting enough for you? Wait for Finningley to open and enjoy your very own air show every day as flights struggle to join our crowded skies.

:ok:

Noah Zark.
13th Aug 2003, 01:11
Thanks for that, Fidgell. It's strange that you mention the Pakistani Jumbos.
One of the lowest I've seen was a Jum., it was LOW and it seamt to be struggling to make any height, and was still quite low when it passed out of my site at the far east end of town.
But, I don't know if it was Pakistani or not, the sun was glaring on its side when it was near me, and it was too far away when it turned slightly.
As you say, it is going to be interesting when Finningly gets up and running. Watch this airspace!
Again, thanks for the info.
N.Z.