PDA

View Full Version : BA to quit Australia?

AIRWAY
11th Aug 2003, 18:56
Hi all,

Was reading "The Australian" newspaper the online version, article on the threat by BA to quit the Kandaroo Route if "the comission does not approve a continuation of its price-fixing arrangement with Qantas".

Do you think that BA would stop flying to Australia?

tanker-driver
11th Aug 2003, 19:23
It is highly unlikely that BA will quit the kangaroo route, as i rather suspect that during the months after 9/11 this became BA's most profitable route. The revenue from belly cargo alone is quite astronomical on this route. On my last flight to Australia (BA17-LHR-SIN-MEL) the aircraft was full on both sectors. I don't believe that BA would want to throw away that sort of business, not with all the problems they have right now!:D

AIRWAY
11th Aug 2003, 19:33
Thats what i thought so, a friend of mine that flies for BA says that the load factors are pretty good either to MEL or SYD.

I guess Mr. Eddington is bluffing :hmm: or maybe not :confused:

nicecsd
11th Aug 2003, 20:58
with the prospect of VS starting one stop services to Brisbane....BA should increase frequency and perhaps reintroduce one stop services to PER & Brisbane

HZ123
11th Aug 2003, 21:00
But what if you get Quantas to do all the flying for you and on your behalf, splitting the proceeds. In so doing enabling BA to focus on existing / new routes and enabling Q to take the lions share of the Kangaroo routes. More so as they seem to enjoy good relations with the authorities ?

Kelas
11th Aug 2003, 22:18
With talk of VS wanting to start flights to Oz, I doubt very much that BA would stop flying there. It's becoming a popular destination of the British public.

Anti-ice
11th Aug 2003, 22:39
.... and (especially from oct-feb) its almost impossible to get down there subload ....

Jordan D
11th Aug 2003, 22:44
I think BA will have to concentrate hard on the Kangaroo routes, as I know quite a few friends who are looking forward to the expansion of EK's ops via DXB from LHR which are equally convient.

Jordan

RogerTangoFoxtrotIndigo
12th Aug 2003, 19:59
One stop..... when is someone going to take the plunge and go non stop? If you could squeeze a little bit more from a 340-500 it would cut 5 hours from the trip, dont say im the only one who has thought about this.

akerosid
13th Aug 2003, 00:16
I think one stop is going to be the order of the day for the forseeable future; it is possible, I believe (albeit with some capacity constraints) to fly LHR-PER n/s, but there's not the traffic at PER to sustain this kind of traffic, so I don't think they would be willing to do this.

Thus, until it becomes possible to fly n/s SYD-LHR, we'll be stopping off somewhere, so airlines might as well do it wherever they can make money.

RogerTangoFoxtrotIndigo
13th Aug 2003, 17:38
But we are so close....... A345 max range (fully loaded but including reserves) 15,800 distance london to sydney 17,034 only 16,561 to brisbane.

I believe that airbus sold 5 IGW 346's to emirates, did they make any improvements to the 345 that were part of the same deal? I cant believe that airbus havent suggested it to BA or Qantas, but i've never heard it mentioned