PDA

View Full Version : MS Flight Stimulator et al

kazumichik
9th Aug 2003, 10:30
Anybody have any thoughts on PC sims, Microsoft or otherwise? I have heard that they even have big jets on them. Has anybody worked on these and are they at all valuable to familiarize yourself with the real thing? Or are they just toys?

The reason I'm asking is that several years ago when I wasn't flying much IFR I bought a PC instrument trainer and with some diligent effort was actually able to keep my scan and procedures in good shape. For a GA guy like myself facing a big jet sim eval ride I wonder if something like that could help me prepare.

Whaddyathink?

ronnie123
9th Aug 2003, 13:26
I use it all the time, I fly GA as well so cant say for the big jets, but as for the scan and procedures its great. MS FS2004 is out now, seems to be quite good.
Have you got a call for the interview already?? Im still in Q for SO.

kazumichik
10th Aug 2003, 03:44
Haven't been called. Haven't even sent a cv to CX yet.

We'll have a look at that FS2004. Thanks

PCav8or
11th Aug 2003, 05:14
If you really want a feel of a big jet (744 in this case) try PS1. www.aerowinx.com. Great procedures/systems trainer. You can practise IFR procedures using the FMC & EFIS tools & play at "what if" scenarios in the hydraulics, etc. It has complete Autopilot/Flight Director mode logic. Simulation of the entire 744 FMC (HOLD, VNAV, FORECAST, OFFPATH DES, FIX INFO, All INTI/RES pages, LEGS, RTE DATA, WINDS ROUE 1 & 2, DEP/ARR, PROGRESS, ETC. All EFIS symbols generated. eg: trend vector, energy management circles, offset route, etc. Fully functional EICAS message logic, secondary EICAS, TCAS, GPWS. Highly accurate aerodynamics simulation. The list just goes on & on.

Frankly MS strikes me as a toy & can't hold a candle to PS1.

Check it out.