PDA

View Full Version : EGLL - Hottest day ever

Fright Level
10th Aug 2003, 22:09
EGLL 101350Z 20012KT CAVOK 37/06 Q1015 NOSIG

The BBC are reporting 37.4C, just waiting for the next ATIS to show 38. Loving every minute of it, back to the pool!

Now 37.9 but ATIS still saying 37, I guess William Hill have bribed them to avoid paying out on their bets!

CarltonBrowne the FO
10th Aug 2003, 23:12
I may be exercising a little too much caution here, but if the temperature is between two numbers, wouldn't it be safer (in performance calculations) for the ATIS to round UP instead of rounding down? :)

chocolate bob
10th Aug 2003, 23:21
37.9 now recorded at LHR

Ladbrokes have just announced that they are now paying out on the hottest day in the UK since records began.

Make a nice change on all accounts (Hot weather and bookies losing!)

Robert Vesco
11th Aug 2003, 00:01
Just waiting for all the green eco-activists to start crying again about ´global warming´ and point the finger to aviation saying it´s all our fault. :E

ferris
11th Aug 2003, 01:55
Hopefully the temperature might fall to 37.9 here, tonight.:rolleyes:

newarksmells
11th Aug 2003, 03:20
When I lived in Scottsdale, AZ, it got down to a low of 98 one night. The previous day was 118. I actually got up at 1:30am and swept in the pool for an hour...and I had Air-Conditioning too..

Newark

Kalium Chloride
11th Aug 2003, 05:13
EGLL officially ousted from #1 temperature spot after Gravesend recorded 38.1C

Sorry, LHR...yer record's been nicked by a sweaty Kent.

A Very Civil Pilot
11th Aug 2003, 17:35
When they record the ATIS temp, presumably it is from a thermometer in a shaded screen to give the true shade temperature. Do ops. manual figures take this into account when working out reduced thrust, RTOW etc when the temp over a big lump of black tarmac in the sun is, on a day like yesterday, going to be much higher?

Pelican
11th Aug 2003, 20:07
Good point. I have been wondering about that myself many a time. I wonder how much hotter the air that is sucked into the engines actually is on such heat soaked runway.

MasterCaution
11th Aug 2003, 20:46
Good point. I have been wondering about that myself many a time. I wonder how much hotter the air that is sucked into the engines actually is on such heat soaked runway.

Presumably the air moves around sufficiently to mix air warmed conductively from a hot runway with (cooler) air in the immediate vicinity thereby equalising the local air temperature. Even with zero wind I would have thought the convective effects (air in contact with the runway gets warmed, rises and sucks in air from around it) would go some way to mixing the air (let alone jet blast and wake stirring it all up). I suppose the specific heat capacity of air, the difference in temperature between the local air and the runway surface and the magnitude of wind (or other air movement) would all play a part.

MC.

Mariner9
11th Aug 2003, 22:42
The Jet A-1 in storage must have been getting pretty close to it's flashpoint (38 min) :eek:

Jordan D
11th Aug 2003, 22:53
They use a thermometer in a Stevensen (sp) Screen device 1.25m off the ground to measure the temp ... it allows for shade, whilst there is constant air flow.

Jordan

Runaway Gun
11th Aug 2003, 23:17
Mariner. I doubt that they store the Jet A-1 out in the sun. It's pretty cool since they bought the fuel cells their own fans. ;)