PDA

View Full Version : FAA ATPL-- what for?

Panama Jack
10th Aug 2003, 20:38
I recognize that this is more of a legal type question than a tech question.

I am currently working as a corporate pilot flying "N-numbered" airplanes outside of the United States. My Captain and I were debating what qualifications a pilot-in-command of a two-pilot aircraft must have in a Corporate aircraft department operating under FAR Part 91.

Although our department requires all pilots to hold an ATP and First Class medical, he claimed that to fly as PIC of say, a Boeing 737 under FAR Part 91 the minimum qualifications were a Commercial Pilot Certificate, Boeing 737 type rating with current proficiency check, and a Second Class medical.

I did not believe this. I explained that my understanding was that a PIC of a two-crew aircraft was required to hold an ATP with a First Class medical. Maybe in other countries he responded (I hold licenses in several), and yes when operating in the airlines, but not by the rules of the FAA for corporate operators.

My research since then seems to suggest that he is in fact correct. While the US regulations haven't come out clearly stating what the privledges of a Commercial license are and those of an ATP, it does seem to suggest that all a PIC needs of a two-crew airplane is a type rating and Proficiency Check.

Does anybody have anything to contribute that I might have overlooked?

ferrydude
10th Aug 2003, 20:51
FAR 91 operations only require a Private Certificate as a minimum req. If 0ver 12,5 in weight or turbojet powered, then a type rating is required. Thereafter, only a biennial flight review. These are the LEGAL mins. OF course, this would never happen in the real world, with insurance and other factors. So no ATP or even Commercial certifiacte is required per FAR. So yes, El Capitain is correct.

JJflyer
10th Aug 2003, 22:21
If you where loaded with dineros and owned your own B737. You coud legally fly it with a PPL provided you had a multi rating and if you want to fly IMC an Instrument rating. This apllies only to a private aircraft operated under pt91.

411A
10th Aug 2003, 22:23
Ferrydude is nearly correct.

For the PIC of an aircraft requiring a type rating, the proficiency check should have been completed within the last twelve calander months, to be technically 'legal'.

Check 6
10th Aug 2003, 23:14
14 CFR 125 applies to aircraft with 20 or more pax seats or 6,000 pounds or greater payload capacity. This would apply to the B-737 or BBJ.

A commercial certificate is required by 14 CFR 125.281 (http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgFAR.nsf/CurrentFARPart/9C4CFC1562CCFEAF86256959004E4B16?OpenDocument) for the PIC and also for the SIC by 14 CFR 125.283 (http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgFAR.nsf/CurrentFARPart/9913622AD336D2E086256959004E4D0D?OpenDocument) .

Also, anyone who flies for compensation must have a commercial certificate with appropriate ratings, so a PPL will not be sufficient for an "N" registered aircraft.

See 14 CFR 125.1 (http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgFAR.nsf/CurrentFARPart/3171D613372F8A8386256959004D8FBA?OpenDocument) for applicability.

;)