PDA

View Full Version : FAA training in UK

jrowli
10th Aug 2003, 17:52
I am based in Liverpool and have my FAA PPL/IR. I need to add commercial and multi to this before I do my CJ type rating in the US.

Does anyone know of a FAA CFII Mulit instructor in the UK that could work with me somewhere in the north of England for a week or two in say Blackpool, Manchester or Liverpool?
I know that Soloflight in Humberside do but a. they have no twin and b. Humberside is a good 2 hour drive each way for me.

dorosenco
12th Aug 2003, 08:06
I don't know the reason why you want to do your FAA Flight Training in the UK but it will cost you much more money than if you come to the US for 2-4 weeks and finish your training. There will be no need for VISA for such a short training.

A Multi Engine airplane in the UK is ~300 pounds/hour, in the US is ~90 pounds/hour.

Go to my website and send me a private e-mail, I can help you with that : www.passion2fly.com

;)

lock wire
12th Aug 2003, 11:28
There are no shortage of CFI-I and MEI's in the UK. UK-resident FAA-designated pilot examiners, on the otherhand...

For some qualified advice, try Simon Crunden ([email protected]) He's an experienced instructor with FAA and JAA experience who I worked with for a couple of years (and is now back in the UK).

But far cheaper to come out here for a couple of weeks. Do you have the CPL written done? Do you have 240+ hoursTT? If so, and your instrument skills are up to scratch, you could have the whole thing done in 3 weeks.

Where are you doing your CJ type rating?

You could do the whole lot here. Have you checked out:

http://www.flightcrewsystems.com

I'm curious though: what would you do with a CJ type rating? No one will insure you without a bunch of hours--whether ME PPL, or ME CPL/IR, even for private flights. The last time I looked into it, the insurers were wanting more than the FAA Part 135 minima.

FlyingForFun
12th Aug 2003, 15:12
...come to the US for 2-4 weeks and finish your training. There will be no need for VISA for such a short trainingThis is not true, Dorosenco - an M1 Visa is required for all training in the US unless you are a US citizen. I'm sure the US Embassy would confirm that far more definitively. I agree that it would be cheaper, though.

FFF
---------------

Julian
12th Aug 2003, 17:06
FFF is right.

You will need a visa for any training including adding a rating to a licence.

Julian.

jrowli
12th Aug 2003, 18:14
Lock Wire, the insurance company wants 50 hours TT before I can fly P1. That's not so bad but I'm going to see if they'll reduce it as for my TBM700 they wanted only 30TT of which 10 was sim.

I originally flew in the US and got my IR in Palo Alto and around 300 hours TT. I returned to the UK and took up helicopters for around 10 years. Now I am back intoi fixed wing and have around 120 tt in the TBM in the last 11 months.

The price for insuring a Citation Jet with a $2.5M value is around £17k for me which is less £5k than the TBM700. The insurance companies prefer them. I also think that the insurance company is OK with me because I have had insurance for the last 12 years with no claims etc. Seems that must be the case otherwise why would they insure me on a CJ for £17k.

EDIT - Actually they called back and want 30 hours dual before P1.