PDA

View Full Version : SAA at LHR

JimmyTAP
8th Aug 2003, 18:19
Is there a reason why South African (and El Al?) use terminal 1 at Heathrow and not Terminal3 or 2?

JT

HZ123
8th Aug 2003, 18:28
None just good interline connections to Europe / Inter Briton. They will be joined in October by BA longhaul flts from Japan and Joburg. Both routes generate a lot of onward transfer revenue.

knobbygb
8th Aug 2003, 20:24
On a similar note, why do the BA Miami flights use terminal 3 (as did the Pittsburgh ones in 97/98)? Is it just to do with gate shortages or is there another reason? Surely it's inefficient to have staff travel over there specially to check-in/despatch 1 or 2 flight a day and have to tow the a/c over too?

PAXboy
8th Aug 2003, 21:09
JT: "Is there a reason why South African (and El Al?) use terminal 1 at Heathrow and not Terminal3 or 2?"

Yes and it is the same as El Al. Security. In the days of the serious upheaval (19070s and 80s), SAA expected that their a/c would be targeted. By giving them the last stand on the pier, if an attack was made on the ground - they could easily isolate the end of the pier.

Now they have been there so long and their lounges and so forth - they do not want to go to T3 and that is full anyway!

whiskeyfour
8th Aug 2003, 21:20
If you have any questions about SAA, just ask Gunssssss on the African forum. He loves that airline:E

Irishwingz
8th Aug 2003, 22:13
Security - I guess thats why flights to Ireland are also in the middle of nowhere. I hate flying home from there, no aircon, no shop and its just plain horrible...

:yuk:

;)

HZ123
9th Aug 2003, 00:21
Sorry, but the historic reason often for the use of the stand is that it is the only one that can fit a 747, nothing to do with the security. There is now facilities for three 747 stands to accomodate BA from October. You are correct that both ELAL and SAA lounges are located side by side on the pier.

Terminal 3: BA all used it for the LAGOS flight a few years ago. The rumoured reason for BA presence is its future proximimity to T5 and also its hoped for better links with AA. The staff for T3 are in the main provided by T 1. Ramp staff also go to T1 to load and unload the Finnair aircraft during the day.

JimmyTAP
9th Aug 2003, 05:45
Thanks for the replies folks. I knew I 'd get an answer here.

JT