PDA

View Full Version : This weather...

Evo
7th Aug 2003, 19:20
It was rather nice up this morning above about 3000ft, rather murky below the inversion though, but why's it so hot? I've been looking at the forecast and it looks like it's here to stay for a while, but I cannot figure out what's going on? Irv - or any other Met guru?

:confused: :cool:

bluskis
7th Aug 2003, 19:57
My theory is its all down to another increase in solar activity on top of a recent double top in the 11 year cycle.

Northern Highflyer
7th Aug 2003, 20:08
High pressure coupled with a southerly bringing the air up from the Med is causing the heatwave.

Evo
7th Aug 2003, 20:17
Wind was northerly this morning when I took off... :confused:

englishal
7th Aug 2003, 20:33
Its nothing to do with Global Warming, thats for sure. When they talk about in on the BBC news they fail to remember that its only the past 20,000 years or so that the climate has been rather stable. In previous years the temp has fluctuated like mad, causing ice ages and years of higher than normal temps. A good prehistoric volcano erruption probably dumps more CO / CO2 into the atmosphere than mankind had dumpped in in our entire existence......oops getting carried away :D

There is an Azores high situated over Northern Europe which sucks up the warm air from the tropics and dumps it over us, causing this nice and hot weather. Once the high is established the lows then tend to "bounce off", so it stays nice for a while. Leads to this murkey hazy weather though, especially around the coasts. I am planning to go to Dinard tomorrow, but there has been a fair bit of fog around down that way, so we'll see!

Bye for now
EA:D

dublinpilot
7th Aug 2003, 20:40
Evo,

It is the upper winds that tend to move the highs and lows around the glode.

Your northerly would have been lower down!

It's not unusual to have upper winds moveing in the completely opposite direction to the lower winds.

Think of the lower winds as blowing around a fixed point in a circle, and the upper winds blowing in a straight line. The fixed point which the lower winds are blowing around will be carried along in the straight line of the upper winds.

At bit simplistic I know, but hopefully you get the idea!

It doesn't explain the current weather, but does explain why your northerly wind does not match with NH's direction!

Hope it helps;)

dp

Aerobatic Flyer
7th Aug 2003, 20:44
I am planning to go to Dinard tomorrow
Dinard was on the French TV news this morning, as being the only place in the country that was cool yesterday. 18 degrees, I think.

Rest of France is unbearable.... 42°C at the moment in Lyon. My obligatory 2 hour lunch (yes, I know - life is hard :) ) had to be accompanied with copious quantities of cold Rosé wine, which is surprisingly refreshing!

DBChopper
7th Aug 2003, 23:35
Might I make a suggestion to you hot plank-flying chaps and chapesses?

Go and have a go in an R22, whip the doors off and play at hover-taxying sideways. Well, it cooled me down at Redhill yesterday and it's damned good fun!

OK, I'll get me coat...

DBChopper
:ok:

WelshFlyer
8th Aug 2003, 04:13
And I'm planning to go up in G-BCZN this sunday, let's just hope the weather cools off a bit without, in true british style pissing down!

(this country's weather knows no half mesures, maybe one of these days they'll come up with a theory why this happens!)

WelshFlyer.

Speedbird252
8th Aug 2003, 07:02
Hey Evo. offer of a lovely cold beer or two on Sunday is waiting within the depths of your PM`s.....;)

Then we can talk about the weather....:ok:

Uggghh! :ooh:

Speedy252:ok: :ugh: :sad: :{

Evo
8th Aug 2003, 21:43
Empty yer mailbox mate :)

bar shaker
8th Aug 2003, 22:53
I've been up in a flexwing microlight the past couple of evenings. Shorts and a T shirt and lovely flying. Perfect machine for swanning around in on a hot summers evening :ok:

AerBabe
9th Aug 2003, 00:18
Nah, strap on a chipmunk (ooh err), open the canopy, and sideslip... works a treat. :ok:

bar shaker
9th Aug 2003, 00:27
Now that would be nice AerBabe :)