PDA

View Full Version : A310 Slats

OVERTALK
7th Aug 2003, 00:51
I've been told by an A310 pilot that the A310 has seven (7) slats - and that three of those will not actuate in a ground manual deployment.

Seven seems like a strange number (3 on one wing and 4 on the other?).

More probably there's 7 a side (but that also seems excessive).

Question is related to a near accident (runway side departure) caused by non deployment of spoilers in a mild to brisk X-wind on a fairly non-greasy (damp only) runway surface.

The solution is thought to be an F/O's manual override that could enable manual deployment of all spoilers after (say) nosewheel placement (or radalt hook-in - or both). Reasoning is that it has happened before with spoilers armed on the A310.

Any thoughts from A310 qualified types?

Bit reminiscent of the 1993 LH A320 wheel spin-up fatal accident at Warsaw.

747FOCAL
7th Aug 2003, 01:05
A 727 has 4 per side along with 3 kruegers.

Dagger Dirk
7th Aug 2003, 01:16
http://www.iasa-intl.com/folders/images/310wingdesign.gif

Not sure about the manual override. Some airplanes have that facility, but most do not. Seems like a reasonable proposition for not being embarrassed by lack of wheel traction/brake effectiveness when the boards don't pop up.

I'd also guess that autobrake wouldn't want to play seriously until the spoilers had had their erection.

Lu Zuckerman
7th Aug 2003, 01:46
The unique wingtip design that improves efficiency was actually designed by Boeing under a NASA contract. The design was given to the French at no cost. However if an American firm wished to use the design they would have to pay a licensing fee.

Have you ever seen an American built jet with the same design?

:ok:

747FOCAL
7th Aug 2003, 02:43
The unique design is old and outdated. The new tips are highly more efficient and these ones will cost the French as well as everybody else. :E

OVERTALK
7th Aug 2003, 03:29
Thanks for answering the question...it's as I suspected.

But does anybody have informed opinions on the other part of the initial post.

i.e. manual override for touchdown spoilers as a backup bootstrap?? Any reason why not (philosophical or technical) - apart from the obstreperous French approach of :

"why spoiler perfection?"

Volume
8th Aug 2003, 14:12
There is a very detailed report (http://www.airbus.com/pdf/customer/fast05/wing.pdf) about the aerodynamic design of the īmodernī A310 wing back from the 80īs on the Airbus Homepage, which also tells something about the slats. May be an interesting read, but is 1.7 MB large !

Bus429
8th Aug 2003, 16:03
Overtalk,

Was your original question about slats or spoilers/speedbrakes?
I'm confused.:confused: