PDA

View Full Version : Flying to Exeter

Hersham Boy
6th Aug 2003, 15:47
Embarrassingly :O nearly 10 months after passing my GFT I am setting off on my first decent length cross-country trip with pax (my girlfriend). We're off from Redhill to Exeter for an overnight stay and then back.

Sooooo... I've got my Pooleys, I've spoken to Exeter about landing fees and overnight parking, I'll get my narrow route briefing for NOTAMs, I've got fingers crossed for the Wx, I'll do my flight planning and all that jazz, I've taken a bit of advice on getting crossing from our friends at Southampton (be heading East/West and West/East, right, to cross main runway and be polite?!) and I've got a load of frequencies and VORs written down for maximum communication/navigation coverage... oh, yes - and I've booked an aeroplane :hmm:

I still can't help but feel slightly unprepared, though!

Do I have to file a flight plan? I don't think so, but...

Surely this stuff gets more instinctive the more you do it? Hope so...

Evo
6th Aug 2003, 16:00
Sounds familiar :) I still treat trips away as a big deal, I guess it becomes natural sooner or later, but not yet...

Only other advice with Solent/Southampton is to be prepared to be told to remain clear of controlled airspace (and :p to Rustle ;) ). If they're talking almost non-stop then you may well get told to bog off even if you're polite and flying Bishop's Waltham to Romsey.

knobbygb
6th Aug 2003, 16:01
I've done perhaps 3 or 4 longish trips since getting the license 8 months ago, so I consider myself equally lacking in real experience. For what it's worth, theat nagging feeling of having forgotten somthing never quite goes away (not in the first 100hrs, anyway). I'm always really nervous the morning of a flight, even just a local jolly with my daughter.

My first real "trip" was to Duxford 3 months after license issue and I spent literally weeks worrying about it - at one point I'd even convinced myself to take a safety pilot - just in case. In the end I went alone and it all went exactly to plan and was a huge confidence builder as well as been a very enjoyable day.

What's my point? I guess I'd say it's natural and very healthy to be a little apprehensive before what is obviously a milestone trip. If you were going into it with a flippant over-confidence, then that WOULD be a problem. Plan, check, check again, then relax and enjoy.

bcfc
6th Aug 2003, 16:20
Hersham

Good choice for a first jolly. (well, being EGTE based, I would say that) :)

Flying in the West Country is a doddle, it really is and although Exeter can be a bit tricky to spot when its hazy coming from the east, so long as you spot the estuary and city, the airfield will appear to your right - the blue hangars are probably the first thing you'll see.

ATC are very nice and don't be shy to ask for a QDM if its a bit murky and the sun is setting in your eyes. BHD is the nearest VOR but to be honest, if you feel a bit lost hug the coast around Bridport and you can't miss it. They probably won't be able to hear you much before Blandford Forum 'cos of the hills so I tend to stay with Bournemouth until Bridport.

If you want somewhere to park, give Flightpass a call. I'm not sure what your paying but they may be able to help. (not sure what the deal is these days). Avgas at EGTE ain't the cheapest, though.

Have fun :ok:
-bcfc

Flyin'Dutch'
6th Aug 2003, 16:50
HB,

Looks like you have dotted the Is and crossed the Ts so providing you are current there is no reason why not to go for it!

Have fun, look forward to reading about your trip.

FD

Dantruck
6th Aug 2003, 18:08
Only got two bits of not very specific advice for you...

1...Taking your girlfriend, eh?...looking forward to that candle-lit dinner, that romantic moonlight stroll and a hot summer night, eh? Well good luck to ya, but think about all that stuff ONLY when you're in the taxi motoring away from Exeter airport. In short, don't let 'get-there-itis' entice you to press-on, or do anything else you wouldn't normally do.

I'm sure you wouldn't, but, well, you know!

and:

2...The fuel pump at Exeter is reached via an 'in' gate, a semicircular-shaped mini taxiway that takes you past the pump itself, and then back out onto the taxiway proper via an 'out' gate. When you're waiting patiently on the taxiway for the pump to be vacated just consider that that helicopter sitting on the grass, rotors running, just might be in the queue ahead of you. He will be standing off at a distance because he doesn't want to damage anything with his downdraught by hover-taxying up close behind the aircraft on the pump.

Only mention this because a year ago I was that helicopter, and it took repeated calls from the tower to get two planks, er sorry!, much admired fixed-wing colleagues, to back off.

Sounds like you'll have fun. Relax and enjoy.

:ok:

Shamow
6th Aug 2003, 19:23
As I haven't started my PPL yet I'm just curious about one thing. How much does hiring a plane from a school for an overnight trip cost - I can't imagine you would only pay flying time, but then I can't imagine you would get charged all the hours you have the aircraft. Somewhere in between is what I'm thinking but can anyone put a rough figure down for me.

Hope you don't mind me slightly hijacking the thread - send PM's if you wish ;)

QDMQDMQDM
6th Aug 2003, 19:24
I know you've already decided on Exeter and planned for it, so I shouldn't really put you off, but it is a British regional airport which is not exactly GA-friendly: exorbitant landing fees, high vis vests, security gates, interminable treks to pay landing fees through a little window, big apron etc. etc. For somewhere much more GA friendly, but still with a decent-sized tarmac runway and in the middle of beautiful countryside try Dunkeswell. A much more pleasant experience.

David

Flyin'Dutch'
6th Aug 2003, 19:48
Shamow,

Depends on the club and any arrangement you have with them.

Some are pretty strict and would charge a minimum of 3 hours per day. Others may just charge flying time. And anything in between.

Important to sort out what the deal is before you set off.

Also likely to depend on what type you are flying on your trip. If it is their only 152 they are less likely to be keen to let you take if for a trip.

FD

Ace Rimmer
6th Aug 2003, 20:28
Hmm well Exeter went down there a few weeks back for a work thing. Have to say the folks were jolly helpful - it was a bit murky so they offered vectors to the rwy (after descretly asking if I happened to have the ILS tuned in). Mind you I can't comment about the fuel price didn't buy any or the landing fee (let off).

down&out
6th Aug 2003, 20:39
HB

Have a great trip - you seem well planned. To me, taking friends away for weekends to places you can't get to quickly on the ground/ sea is one of the joys of having a PPL. I've been flying for a while now, but still get a little apprehensive before the flight - I might worry if I didn't;)

Shamow
Very fair question. If I could add to FD, I have rented from many places and have always paid by the actual flying time (or hobbs [electrics on] or tacho [engine on] time). I have found the best places to rent, for day/ overnight trips away are usually not clubs, but individuals who have a/c for hire. If I did enough hours a year, then I would join a group but I don't.

I have found most places want a min of 2 flying hours per day and solo rates in a 4 seater are between £70-£110 wet. So if you are considering costs, think about this: 3 people in a 4 seater for 2 hour flight out on Sat am, back Sun pm will easily get you to most Northern French airfields from Southern England and cost around £120 each if you share the costs. Not too bad? If you can find one that will truly carry 4 (balancing passenger load & fuel load is often an issue) then it goes down to around £90 each.

bcfc
6th Aug 2003, 20:46
QDMx3

Thats a bit harsh. For a regional airport, Exeter is one of the better ones - excellent ATC, not too busy, easy to find. Don't know what Hersham has experienced before but it would be good experience - and whats the big problem with a high-viz jacket & security gates?

I mentioned about Flightpass because the clubs can often help mitigate costs if you're handled by them. Its worth a call.

Dunkeswell is nice & well worth a visit but I've been carved up on finals once too often there and they can be grumpy :mad: so it works both ways. Also, he's coming down for a dirty weekend - what's to do in Dunkeswell??? :E

Hersham, come on down and wherever you end up, you'll love it. Looking out my window now and its CAVOK, all the way :cool:

-bcfc

QDMQDMQDM
6th Aug 2003, 21:13
whats the big problem with a high-viz jacket & security gates

Horses for courses. If you like pretending to be an airliner, Exeter's great. Otherwise there are plenty of airfields in the West country with much more character and GA-friendliness. Cheaper too.

David

RichyRich
6th Aug 2003, 23:22
Did my QXC Monday (I musn't let the boss read this - called in sick :\ ). I'm based in Southampton, flew to Bristol and then to Exeter (and then home of course). Of the two, Exeter was WAAAYY better. And WAAAAAYYYYYYY cheaper, half the cost in fact. Didn't pick up fuel at either, other than tea at Exeter.

As the others have said, nice place, friendly etc. Probably too expensive to go there again (but I'll remember QDM's suggestion to venture in the vicinity when/if I get a licence).

Thanks to all the ATC'ers, if they read this. Spoke to London for the first time as Yeovilton on holiday. Also spoke to Boscombe for the first time, as I usually fly weekends. Nowhere near as daunting as I imagined.

As for hi-vis jackets, let's face it: in this glorious nanny-state we're in (as most users of this forum seem UK based), they are not going to go away.

And security gates etc? If I had my own plane, I'd prefer it to be behind bars to reduce the chance of some yob stuffing it up as we've seen in other posts here.

Dantruck
7th Aug 2003, 00:52
Suggest you next consider a PPL(H).

That way you can take your girlfriend direct to the hotel :E

No landing fees, no hi viz jackets, no long walks...everyone's happy...except perhaps my bank manager, wife, kids, credit card company, etc, etc :{ :{ :{

Have fun

The Farmer
7th Aug 2003, 18:50
Hersham Boy.

Exeter is a fine airport to head for and a fine city. What are your plans down here? Take the memsahib to Michael Caines at the Royal Clarence and go nuts. There's a few other suggestions I could make if you like.

Easier for you if you sort o/night parking on the southside of 08/26 if possible. You'll be terminal side for taxis etc. ATC are generally extremely helpful.

Moooooo. ;)

P.S. I'd be interested in anyone else's comments on the FlightPlan question HB poses being a little unsure on that one too...

Hersham Boy
7th Aug 2003, 21:07
Thanks for the responses, chaps...

More than a little helpful (not least of which as I had forgotten to check logbook for 90 day currency - plank! Guess who's flying a couple of circuits before setting off Saturday? :O )...

To dispel any grubby rumours, I'm actually flying down with gilfriend (of 10 years, so none of that mucky stuff any more ;) ) to see my mother who resides in the fine town of Budleigh Salterton - thus the Exeter landing site.

Have high-vis jacket in car - only one, though, so girlfriend and I may have to share!

bcfc - if you have a number for Flightpass, I'll certainly give them a call. Fee for a 152 is £14 (landing) and £2.53(overnight parking), apparently. Not too bad, I didn't think?

Naturally, will report back - hope So'ton let me through! :uhoh:

Hersh

robin
7th Aug 2003, 22:01
Just a couple of thoughts -

Why not route down to Goodwood and do the coastal route -
N side of IOW, cross back at the Needles to Hengistbury Head, Sandbanks, Bere to Axminster, then around the coast to Exmouth

Great route for a pax and you don't need to disturb Soton too much. Late in the day it can get wearing looking directly into sun and the vis gets tricky in haze

In any event, if there are vis problems overland, the coast is best (so long as there isn't sea mist) and the valleys do tend to fill up late in the day

Also, with Flightpass, as stated, you are the wrong side for taxis - if your mum is in the area, get her to meet you on the old A30 entrance - the north side is gated, although Flightpass would help

My preference would be southside parking on the disused - mainly cos the fuel is on the right side of the main runway, and you can get delayed

But ATC are great and very helpful, so long as you don't try a long approach along the ILS when a commercial jet is landing . Always best to plan to approach from one side or the other

Have a good one - the met looks good:ok:

bcfc
7th Aug 2003, 22:23
Can't disagree with anything robin has said. The £14 landing seems good seeing as residents pay £9 and £2.53 for parking looks a bargain. I don't think the clubs will save you much.

As Robin says, the southside is better for taxis and the tower, so you'll be either parked on the disused or the grass. You only need one Hi-viz betwen the two of you.

Robins route is very nice but doing the Needles to Sandbanks, I would want a vest on. In my 172, its around 15 mins.

PM me if you want to know more.

-bcfc