PDA

View Full Version : After failing the exams......

BritishGuy
5th Aug 2003, 09:43
Ok, to cut a long story short, I've passed 11 of the 14 required ATPL's and on my final and very last attempt I got 74%PoF, 73%AGK and 71%Met. Now what? How do I go and do the exams again as I was told as I have to wait two years, but then someone also said I can do them after something called 'remedial training'..... And idea what exactly it is and how much it approximatly costs??

Thanks.

airshowpilot
5th Aug 2003, 16:43
Don't give up now whatever you do and don't let the exams the better of you especially as most of the knowledge is still fresh in your mind. I was in a similar position and thought about giving it up as I had got everything bar PoF (missed it by 1% a couple of times).

The good news is that you can wipe the slate clean and have a good go at them all again by attending ground school brush up courses. I resolved to get straight back to ground school (Bristol in my case) got 12 out of 14 in two months (75% in PoF this time -so no wasted effort there!) and then cleaned up the final two the following month. Within six months I had turned around a complete ground school disaster into a shiny new JAA CPL/IR.:D

threshold
6th Aug 2003, 00:03
me too buddy! its a an absolute pain and you must feel really down about it.. don't give in now whatever you do, they are easier 2nd time around. I also now possess a shiny blue wallet with my name on it!!:D

Keith.Williams.
6th Aug 2003, 02:36
An AIC on this subject was issued last April. Since then ALL applications for exams including resits have required the signature of a JAR approved groundschool.

To start a second sequence of exams you must undertake a minimum of 10% (60 hours) of retraining. This does not need to cover all subjects, but must be agreed and provided by the school signing your application forms.

You can start the retraining and second sequence of exams as soon as you like.

If you do start again it is probably a good idea to do your problem subjects first. If you cannot pass these there is little point in redoing the "easy" ones.

You should also think long and hard before trying to do the minimum 60 hours retraining then doing the rest without the support of a school. I am not saying this simply because I work for a school, but because I have seen too many students who have wasted most of their 18 months working alone at home, before coming to us for their last gasp attempts.

If you decide to start again make absolutely certain that you intend to do whatever is necessary to succeed.