PDA

View Full Version : Privelages before licence issue and after skills tests

Rupert S
4th Aug 2003, 15:43
After going solo in the next week or so, in a couple of months I'd like to get all my skills tests passed and have everything finished for my PPL several months before I turn 17. Having passed all the necessary exams for the PPL and while waiting for my 17th birthday to come, will I be able to have an instructor at my flying club sign me out and also to be able to pay for my flying at cheaper hire rates and be able to fly to events such as fly-ins etc (obviously without carrying passengers)?
Thanks in advance
Rupert S- :} (I just like this face)

Another_CFI
4th Aug 2003, 16:16
Rupert. From a legal point of view you must continue to operate with student priviledges until you have received (and signed) the licence.

How your club treats you during the period from licence application to issue is entirely up to them. At the club where I am CFI I treat such students as if they were PPLs, in terms of recency requirements (which are more stringent for students) and aircraft hire rates, but other clubs may have good reasons for continuing to treat them in the same manner as all their other students.

CSX001
5th Aug 2003, 01:01
A lot of clubs treat not-yet-issued PPLs as full PPLs for currency purposes, but still charge the student training rate. This is done, they say, because until your licence is in your grubby hand, an FI still has to sign you off solo, and is legally responsible for you should things go wrong with your flight.

Doesn't seem unreasonable to me, but some people feel ripped off by the extra charge.

Charlie

PS: By the way boys, can you really not spell "Privilege" yet? Truly dire, both of you! :D

Rupert S
5th Aug 2003, 01:36
I hate to rant but there shouldn't be a comma before 'and' towards the end of the thirld line. PS should also be written as 'P.S.' :O
(Well I couldn't let your mistake go unattended when you so rudely brought mine to light).b:}
I'll ask my CFI when I next go flying - thanks for your help.

CSX001
5th Aug 2003, 02:01
Ah... sophisticated schoolboy humour, so elegantly typed :D Very witty.

Good luck with the PPL.

Charlie.

Rupert S
5th Aug 2003, 02:05
Thanks Charlie
Rupert S - :} (I just like the icon).