PDA

View Full Version : Living in France

singletrack
4th Aug 2003, 01:49
I work for Dragonair, and am interested in taking the freighter basing in Manchester, but to live in France. Can anyone provide the low down on French taxes for airline pilots? I will still pay Hong Kong tax, so wonder if I will be required to pay French tax or not.

Also, with two small children, are there international schools, and if so what are they like, and costs. What about local schools.

Thanks

eaglejet
4th Aug 2003, 10:04
Where do you plan to be based in France?

In Paris and some other major cities in France you will be able to find international schools (Lyon or Toulouse for example)

About taxes, if you can give to the french tax office the evidence that you are already paying taxes in HK, you won't have to pay taxes in France (in France you don't pay taxes twice). But maybe you will still have to pay the local taxes for the appartment or house you will rent/buy.

cheers

invisiblemoon
4th Aug 2003, 15:18
Sorry but this may be wrong.

The french fiscal law says that if you have your residence in France you pay your taxes in France (CGI Art. 4B) but you can make deduction of the taxes already discharged in other countries.

This is the principle :ok:

Despite that, the country where you actually pay your taxes may have signed with France a multilateral convention that specify you have to pay elsewhere.

To be sure give a call to the "center taxes" (centre des impôts) of your future place of living. It's cheaper (no cost) than a lawyer and it's straight from the horse's mouth.

For your local income you'll have to pay that (tenant or owner...)

I knew that my lawyer's studies would be useful to me nevertheless!

Manflex55
5th Aug 2003, 02:06
Yes well, whatever you end up paying in France is still better than all the crap you would pay in the UK. Trust me on that one: AVOID THE UK!!! I'm unfortunately stuck in this country for the moment and you just don't know how miserable it is: ****ty weather, income tax, council tax, television tax, road tax, nursery tax (if you have young children), no public transport, stupid health system, foot & mouth disease... :yuk:
You really have to be a Brit to "enjoy" it.

MF

flyblue
5th Aug 2003, 02:37
I think you might be interested on contacting the centre des impôts des non-résidents (CINR)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Centre des Impôts des non-résidents
9, rue d'Uzès
75094 Paris Cedex 02

Téléphone : 01 44 76 18 00
Cellule renseignements :01 44 76 19 00
Télécopie : 01 42 21 45 04
Mél : [email protected]

http://www.minefi.gouv.fr/acces/nonresidents/index.htm
(ou par la page http://www.minefi.gouv.fr/ et cliquer sur non-résidents dans accès personnalisés).
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the link to their website, with contacts etc. Given that you already pay taxes elsewhere, I think you can get away with just the "taxe d'habitation".
http://www.csfe.org/nouveautes_expat/index.htm?http://www.csfe.org/nouveautes_expat/cinr.htm~pages

Bon courage!

flyblue

singletrack
6th Aug 2003, 11:42
Thanks for the info guys. We would like to live in the south coast. Somewhere where commuting is somewhat easy.

Does each region have different tax laws and rates?

Can anyone pass along a rough idea on the price of renting houses in the south? Just a rough amount would be nice.

Thanks

priscilla
6th Aug 2003, 21:38
Hi Singletrack!
I live near Aix en Provence and Marseille. Here you can easily reach Paris by train (3h15mn) or any european capital by plane (I heard that easyjet will fly to Manchester next year...)
Renting a house with a litle garden and 4 bedrooms is about 1200 euros a month (if you wish to stay close to Aix) but it's difficult to get one!. You can have a look on :
www.petites-annonces.fr
Bonne chance :-)

PANDAMATENGA
21st Aug 2003, 09:22
Hi Singletrack

Please check your PM's or Email me at [email protected]

Cheers
PANDAMATENGA

malaysian eaglet
24th Aug 2003, 22:01
If I was in your position I will avoid to pay taxes in France
If you are paid in Uk you can be officially resident in UK (at the location of your company for example, plenty of other solutions, mail boxes...). Do not forget you have to be 183 days in a country to be resident and with your activity, I don't think you will reach this amount.
I am french, I have worked for some times in UK and I have appreciated to be in UK for the total amount of paid taxes. However housing is so expansive in UK that it may be more interesting to be in France.
Do not rush to pay your taxes in France, study carefully your situation.
Take care and best regards

xodus
18th Sep 2003, 23:58
Hi all, just wondering has anyone any good websites for accomodation in paris?
Based shortly at CDG but want to avoid rossy etc.

merci

X O'Dus