PDA

View Full Version : Isle of Wight

smallpilot
3rd Aug 2003, 05:46
I'm looking to fly some (non-flying) friends from Blackbushe tomorrow (Sunday) and thought IOW might be a good place to go. Any thoughts? Also if so, sandown or bembridge? I seem to remember previous postings suggesting the crab+lobster or propellor (both at bembridge?). Again any ideas/thoughts please?

Bootlegger
3rd Aug 2003, 06:02
Im also thinking of doing IOW this summer. It will be my furthest trip so far...EGNF....to one of the two aerodromes on IOW.......there are a few parachute areas to avoid, & areas,........... but generally.....if i stick to altitude 3500ft, or below, i should be ok......there will be a lot more more planning , so dont quote me on this..... Im certainly looking forward to the challenge :ok:

Deano777
3rd Aug 2003, 20:22
Smallpilot

Check this post mate,

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=95802&highlight=Sandown+or+bembridge

hope this helps

Dean.

bertiethebadger
4th Aug 2003, 20:24
Hopefully, you have already done it by now. What did you do?

I quite often do the same trip. I usually fly south towards the Goodwood Radial to Liphook & then turn towards IoW. This way I avoid Oakhanger, Solant CTA & Portsdown.

You could also go via Bognor area & along the coast though this can get busy, as can the solent.

As for where to go, I prefer Bembridge, purely because of the pubs/beach cafe's @ Bembridge point.

smallpilot
4th Aug 2003, 22:27
Went to bembridge in the end -followed exactly bertiebadgers route strangely enough! Went to the Crab + Lobster. Great lunch but WHY on earth they stop serving food at 2.30pm on a sun is mad - lots of business turned away. if I owned that place I could double the takings by doing food all day! But a great day and a mention to Bembridge -one of the friendliest + most GA friendly airfields i have visited in a long time. Will definately go back!