PDA

View Full Version : C182 down at Wycombe

rollright129
3rd Aug 2003, 05:43
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/beds/bucks/herts/3119469.stm

Anyone know anything about this? BBC don't have many details.

noblues
3rd Aug 2003, 16:58
Also saw this on the Teletext -

Its amazing that by the sound of things it took off from Booker and went down before even leaving the ATZ but no one was even aware of it until hours later ........

Sounds like a heart attack or medical problem - apart from the 1st 200' at Booker on the climbout there are loadsa places to put a C182 down .....

Aussie Andy
5th Aug 2003, 07:18
Sorry to hear the fella lost his life: very sad, and my thoughts to the family.

Does anyone know which runway was in use? Looking at the map, it seems to be in the vicinity of the downwind leg for 35, but I would be surprised if it was in use (moe usually 24/06) and I don't think the wind was northerly on Friday?

So presumably the chap had departed to the south - but apparently had not yet signed off the frequency?

Andy

MikeSamuel
5th Aug 2003, 15:26
Anyone know which 182 it was? Very sorry to hear about this.

flower
5th Aug 2003, 16:17
Interestingly my Assistant had to search through all our previous days LARS traffic Flight Progress strips Saturday morning for a lost aircraft, and i understand a number of other units were doing the same. Am i correct in thinking the poor man wasn't discovered until the Saturday, as I think it was he who we were looking for
:(

Wycombe
5th Aug 2003, 19:49
Been away from the forum for a few days, and not at EGTB over last w/e, so had not heard about this terrible news :sad:

I really don't think I want to hear whose aeroplane this was

CSX001
5th Aug 2003, 19:56
I have been led to believe that the 182 concerned was not a Wycombe resident. My contact suggested that the aircraft was in fact based at Rochester.

Charlie.

Flyin'Dutch'
5th Aug 2003, 21:23
CSX

I can confirm that.

FD

Pianorak
6th Aug 2003, 01:59
"John Goldsborough Hogg as a result of a tragic flying accident in Buckinghamshire on Friday . . . "

(Private obituary notices in today's Times)

Sensible
27th Aug 2003, 09:11
Just for those interested, this is a report from the US NTSB Aviation Accidents website. Why it should be on the NTSB website is a mystery to me.

NYC03WA174
On August 1, 2003, about 1530 coordinated universal time, a Cessna 182T, N666JH, was substantially damaged during an impact with terrain in Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom. The pilot was fatally injured. Instrument meteorological conditions prevailed for the foreign personal flight.

According to information provided by the Air Accidents Investigation Branch of the United Kingdom (AAIB), the pilot departed on a visual flight rules (VFR) flight to his home airport. The weather conditions at the departure airport included a visibility of 3,000 meters and a cloud base of 200-300 feet. En route, the weather was expected to improve, and at the destination airport, weather was reported as VFR.

Shortly after takeoff, the airplane was observed entering a right turn, prior to disappearing into a cloud. Radar data indicated the airplane made a climbing right turn, then leveled at 2,500 feet. Approximately 15 to 20 seconds prior to ground impact, the airplane initiated a right turn and a rapid descent at 140 knots. Radar data indicated that the airplane impacted trees at a speed in excess of 200 knots.

This investigation is under the jurisdiction of the Government of the United Kingdom. Any further information pertaining to this accident may be obtained from the:

Department of Transportation
Air Accidents Investigation Branch
Berkshire Copse Road
Aldershot
Hants GU11 2HH
United Kingdom

This report is for informational purposes and contains only information provided by the AAIB.

Aussie Andy
27th Aug 2003, 13:32
Why it should be on the NTSB website... presumably because its an N registered a/c.

Hadn't realised prior to this that "IMC prevailed"...

Flyin'Dutch'
27th Aug 2003, 16:29
It was on the 'N' indeed that is why it appears on the NTSB site.

Will be interesting to see what the outcome is.

FD

niknak
27th Aug 2003, 22:45
Sensible - I'm curious as to the format of your report.
You've made an almost identical post regarding the fatal C421 accident at Humberside in March this year, and I'm pretty sure with regard to that accident and I know in the case of this tradgedy, the UK AIB have not made their findings public yet.
I know that this is an open forum for the avaition fraternity, but it's also accessible by anyone else who wants to take 3 out of a post and turn into 5.
With the greatest of respect to you and your sources, you achieve nothing by making such posts, except upsetting the friends and relatives of the deceased and injured.

I know that the moderators have a difficult job in trying not to be overbearing censors, but these type of posts that only fuel rumour and gossip to the detrement of pprune.

Aussie Andy
27th Aug 2003, 22:56
I think the NTSB accident report format is very standard - there are many and they seem to be produced very soon after accidents by NTSB. See http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/query.asp

Andy

Flyin'Dutch'
27th Aug 2003, 23:08
Niknak,

From personal experience I know all to well how deeply we are affected when an aviation accident concerns our nearest and dearest.

However I think you are a bit harsh on S.

The NTSB works a bit different to our AAIB, different culture and different logic:

The NTSB aviation accident database contains information from 1962 and later about civil aviation accidents and selected incidents within the United States, its territories and possessions, and in international waters. Generally, a preliminary report is available online within a few days of an accident. Factual information is added when available, and when the investigation is completed, the preliminary report is replaced with a final description of the accident and its probable cause. Full narrative descriptions may not be available for dates before 1993, cases under revision, or where NTSB did not have primary investigative responsibility.

With that in mind I can not see that S was insensitive or did anything wrong.

FD

Aussie Andy
27th Aug 2003, 23:13
The specific report (classified as report type "fact") is here: http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief2.asp?ev_id=20030819X01354&ntsbno=NYC03WA174&akey=1

Andy