PDA

View Full Version : IPAQ based GPS or Garmin 196

Boing_737
1st Aug 2003, 18:59
Hi all,
I am in the process of trying to decide which GPS to buy. I am keen to get one as a backup to my normal nav.

The two choices I have narrowed down to are either one based on an Ipaq (Navman GPS or similar), or the Garmin196.

The reason for shortlisting the Ipaq device is because you can load the digitised CAA charts onto it, and I feel that this would lead to better situational awareness as regards restricted airspace, and I have heard that the databases for the American manufactured GPS systems do not always have certain types of airspace marked on them. Also, the digitised maps for the Ipaq would be updated whenever the CAA update their charts.

Another aspect of using the Ipaq are all the other utilities that can be found on the Internet for them, such as weight and balance calculators, electronic whiz wheels, and the ability to program the wifes birthday and wedding anniversary into the date planner:O

I fancy the 196 because it looks good, and the display seems to be quite clear (and other people have said in reviews that it is very good).

I would like to know of your experiences with any of the above, or indeed, if you have any other suggestions for reasonably priced (if there is such a thing) GPS systems.

Cheers Dudes.

Boing_737

Mike Cross
1st Aug 2003, 20:44
I had a brief look at the digitised charts.

Asked what the update situation was, told "just buy a new one". Cost is 49.95 each and there are three in the set to cover the UK (£149.85). Since the charts from which they are derived are only published once a year the currency would have to be a lot worse than a proper GPS update service.

Also from what I could see the software is more designed for ground-based activity rather than flying.

The charts appear to be exclusive to Memory Map http://www.memory-map.co.uk/maps_uk_intheair.htm so you are stuck with their navigation software.

Personally I always have my GPS display set "desired track up" which means that my course is shown as a vertical line heading to the top of the screen and it's very easy to keep yourself on it. Landmarks appear at the top of the screen as you approach them making it easy to orientate yourself. All the place names appear right way up at all times. I can see that if you rotate a digitised chart all of the legend will rotate as well so if you are heading South everything would be inverted.

I decided on balance to stick with what I have but I too will be interested to hear from users with experience of the kit.

Mike

drauk
1st Aug 2003, 21:04
I own both the Memory Map product and other iPAQ navigation software actually and a Garmin 196. If you search on PPRuNe you'll see various comments I've made about these systems in the past. If you have any specific questions not thereby answered, just ask. Perhaps the most telling thing is that I bought the 196 after the iPAQ software, I don't regret buying it (the 196) and I use it more than the iPAQ system. Being able to see moving map CAA charts is nice, but if I had to choose I'd pick the Garmin. However, if you want to read TAFs in the car park, email on the bus, do road navigation (the 196's road navigation system is poor compared with the best available on the iPAQ) etc then the iPAQ definitely has value. Buy both?

rtl_flyer
1st Aug 2003, 22:16
I looked at both - bought the Garmin 196. It's a great improvement on the Plot III. Very pleased with it.
Screen is clear, lots of detail, you can declutter also. Route programming has been improved, along with the menus.
When you buy it you will get two mounts (one stick down, one yoke), lighter power lead, PC lead. The only extra you need is the carry case (£20).
Automotive kit is an expensive option - but it does include a nonstick mount, memory card, card reader & road data for UK & Europe.
Shop around for price - I bought mine at the PFA and saved £180 on list price......

IO540
1st Aug 2003, 23:10
Boing_737

Keeping your wife's birthday in a PDA can easily save your marriage, so I would go for that every time :O

But seriously, do you want a PDA for its other functions?

Apart from the UK-marketed software product called a Memory Map (sold by Transair I believe) I would be cautious regarding most of the PDA flight planning software around because it is either great but incomplete (e.g. CoPilot) or it is very USA-centred and largely untested outside there.

However I think one can get Navbox for a Pocket/PC PDA now and that is a great product (no good maps though).

Boing_737
2nd Aug 2003, 06:44
Thanks for the info chaps. I'll certainly take a close look at the Garmin I think.

Cheers

englishal
2nd Aug 2003, 17:18
I use Memory Map in the UK and Anywhere Map in the states, and both are brilliant. The MM charts are great, as they are digitized CAA maps, there is no chance of airspace left off. You can pre-flight plan on the desktop and send the routes etc to the PocketPC and / or GPS. I'd buy one any day over a dedicated GPS. There is tons of Navigation software out there so you can chop and change if you find something better, where as with a dedicated GPS you're stuck.

Another one I use is OziExplorer which is alse very good.

Cheers
EA:D