PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Diversion Airfields

Oxford1G
14th Nov 2001, 23:25
Can any one please advise if there are any suitable alternates for wide body operations near Goose and Gander?

Frank M
15th Nov 2001, 00:47
Sure, I'm not quite sure how near you want them; there's Moncton (CYQM), Halifax (CYHZ)and St. John's(CYYT). That's about all I can think about right now. We use them as ETOPS-alternate for B767's. I'm not sure if you can use them for bigger planes, but as a fact I know a B767-300 actually landed at Moncton a few months ago.

Hope this helps,
Frank.

Speedbird48
15th Nov 2001, 03:12
Another choice would be Stephenville on the SW side of Newfoundland. Not a lot of facilities but great people who try very hard. Some used it on the 11th.

Bellerophon
15th Nov 2001, 04:38
Frank M has given you the main ones, and Speedbird48 rightly adds Stephenville (CYJT), which has a very usable 10,000 ft runway.

However, as you asked specifically about wide body operations, you should be aware that the ILS on R/W 27 at Stephenville has a rather sporting 4.5° G/S, due to some highish ground immediately to the East of the airfield.

The approach to R/W09 is out over the sea, and I would suggest that Stephenville may be of more use to you in an Easterly wind, which, by good fortune, is often the prevailing wind direction when Gander and St John’s are out in bad weather, whilst Stephenville remains workable.

Hope this helps,

Bellerophon

Oxford1G
15th Nov 2001, 13:19
Thanks Guys.