PDA

View Full Version : PPL Licence+taking passengers

Speedbird744
1st Aug 2003, 00:42
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to take passengers up once your Skills Test has been passed but before your licence arrives through the post? I have heard that it could be possible under supervision?
thanks

AerBabe
1st Aug 2003, 01:00
Nope, you can't. You can fly solo, but must be signed off by an instructor. Sorry! You could always get an instructor to sit RHS and stick some friends in the back...

oli carley
1st Aug 2003, 01:10
i can confirm that, i wanted to too!

Speedbird744
1st Aug 2003, 03:01
Alright thanks then,
out of interest, how long does it take for the CAA to send you your new licence? (if all is correct on the application)

Whirlybird
1st Aug 2003, 03:55
How long is a piece of string?

28thJuly2001
1st Aug 2003, 04:01
out of interest, how long does it take for the CAA to send you your new licence? (if all is correct on the application)

Choose one of the following options:-
1 Week
2 Weeks
3 Weeks
4 Weeks
5 Weeks
6 Weeks
7 Weeks
8 Weeks
9 Weeks.
Thank You.
28th,,

RodgerF
1st Aug 2003, 18:26
Aerbabe

A small point, if a student wants to fly solo after the skill test whilst waiting for the licence, approval must be by an FI(A) only.

Tiger_ Moth
2nd Aug 2003, 02:47
I think you might be able to get your license on the day if you go down to Gatwick early in the day with all the 101 bits of crap they need.
Can anyone confirm this?

DaventryCTA
2nd Aug 2003, 03:24
Tiger_Moth

Not any more - all counter issues were stopped some time ago.
See thread on "CAA Licence Applications"

Tiger_ Moth
2nd Aug 2003, 04:28
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And to think it still costs £160 or whatever, even if you're prepared to go down there. I feel like starting another anti CAA thread................

Port Strobe
2nd Aug 2003, 06:23
To answer your question regarding how long it takes to get the piece of paper in your hand I had mine inside 2 weeks from the end of September last year, so I don't think it should be too much off that mark seeing as it's almost the same time of year and demand blah blah. Hope you get yours soon.

turnoffthepapis
3rd Aug 2003, 09:15
My mate just got his at 4 weeks. He kissed the postman on its arrival!!:ok:

Lucifer
4th Aug 2003, 02:20
True - the counter issues are only for renewals of ratings etc, not initial issues which are required to collect dust for a few weeks first.

EGLKFlyer
5th Aug 2003, 22:36
Well I'm at nearly 5 weeks - passed in early July, still absolutely nothing back.

My colleagues in the US were stunned by our procedures:

"Send it off? I wouldn't let my logbook out of my sight..." and "when I passed, the FTO typed in the details to their computer; it registered it with the FAA; they printed out my licence and I signed it".

Can't vouch for the second statement, but I'm sure we could implement something between the two systems.

Hope we all get our licences soon. Good luck to anyone else who's waiting.