PDA

View Full Version : required hours from FAA to JAA

ibzflyer
30th Jul 2003, 11:53
heard that in UK after passing your 14 test and if you are converting from FAA to UK , the flying portion got to be 5 hours + check ride in a single engine and 15 hours +check ride in a multi, all together about 7000$ USD, but at the other hand heard from people doing it in Spain (Aeromadrid) for less than 4000$ USD (they did required only 5 hours in a multi and 5 hours in a single + check ride).
anybody knows how much it really cost?:confused: :confused:

Fogbound
30th Jul 2003, 17:18
The Following is an extract from the CAA publication LASORS:

CPL
The holder of a current and valid CPL(A) issued in accordance with ICAO Annex 1 by a non-JAA state may be issued with a JAR-FCL CPL(A) providing the experience requirements of JAR-FCL 1.55(b) & (C) have been met. Applicants must:

· Hold a valid JAR-FCL Class 1 medical certificate.
· Undertake CPL(A) theoretical knowledge instruction as determined by the Head of Training of an approved training provider and pass ALL of the JAR-FCL theoretical knowledge examinations at CPL(A) level. Applicants who wish to attempt examinations at a higher level (ie ATPL(A) level) must undertake the full 650 hour course of approved theoretical knowledge instruction and pass ALL of the JAR-FCL theoretical knowledge examinations at ATPL(A) level.
· Undertake flying training as determined by the Head of Training of a FTO approved to conduct CPL(A) modular flying training courses, sufficient to obtain the pre-entry Form 170A (to include 5 hours on a complex aeroplane type if this requirement has not been previously satisfied) and pass the CPL(A) skill test (in accordance with Appendices 1 & 2 to JAR-FCL 1.170) with a CAA Flight Examiner.
· Qualify for the Issue of a UK Flight Radio Telephony Operators Licence (FRTOL)

IR
The holder of a current and valid Instrument Rating Aeroplane (IR(A)) issued in accordance with ICAO Annex 1 by a non-JAA State may be issued with a JAR-FCL IR(A) providing the experience requirements as detailed in Section E1.2 have been met. Applicants must complete the following:

· Undertake IR theoretical knowledge instruction as determined by the Head of Training of an approved training provider.
· Pass all JAR-FCL theoretical knowledge examinations at IR level. Applicants who have passed JAR-FCL theoretical knowledge examinations at ATPL(A) level are exempted from this requirement.
· Complete a minimum of 15 hour instrument flying instruction (of which 5 hours may be in a FNPT 1 or 10 hours in a FNPT 2 or flight simulator.
· Complete any additional IR training considered necessary by the FTO
· Pass the 170A flight test
· Pass the IR(A) skill test (in accordance with Appendices 1 &2 to JAR-FCL 1.210) with a CAA Flight Examiner

The price will be dependant on which FTO you attend for the training but you are probably looking at around £6-7,000 UK Sterling if you choose to complete 10 hours in an FNPT2 sim of the 15 hours required for IR conversion.

BlueRobin
31st Jul 2003, 00:06
The ground studies are the real killer here, esp when an ATPL is required in the conversion. Perhaps not so much in terms of money but in time itself.

Would it not be easier and better in the long run to for example train at a US establishment for the JAA ratings and then convert to FAA? A valid point and something I have wondered about whilst looking at {URL=http://www.europeanflighttraining.com/professional_pilot_program.htm]EFT's website[/URL].

Perhaps, perhaps not. The conversion in the case also takes ten hours.

Draw your own conclusions.

moku
31st Jul 2003, 01:30
Ok here are the prices I was quoted a few weeks ago. I am about to finish my Full time GS and plan on starting the flight portion of my training in about 3 weeks. Subject to passing my remaining exams at Gatwick next week.

One school quoted £9800. (also inc one landing fee and approach fee per flight at home airport)

Two schools quoted £10,500. (One was with 10 hrs FNPT2, 5 hr BE76. The other 5 hrs FNTP1 and 10 hrs BE76). Both of these schools also inc ALL landing fees and approach fees at the HOME airport.
Also you will need to pay for a MEPL conversion. The 3 FTO's above included this in the quotes normally about £100-£125.

ALL the above prices included CAA fees for Skills tests(2), A/C hire for both skills test.
ALL prices also included the MCC course for those (like me)without the 500 multi crew time.

Add to these figures the cost of the ground school either Distance learning or Full-time. And the £728 for all 14 written exams.

So that makes a total of about £15,223 inc a FULL TIME ground school.

Hope that helps.