PDA

View Full Version : Meteorology degree...

Spike001
28th Jul 2003, 06:51
Hi all

I'm just finishing my PPL, and planning to go to flying college later this year to do ATPL groundschool.
I've been hearing from many people that the aviation industry in a whole isn't picking up, it seems to be getting worse.

I've been thinking about taking Meteorology at university, and i'm wondering what line of work one could do, which would benefit themselves when it comes to getting a job back in flying.

For the mo, i'm sticking with the ATPL, but questioning my options.

Thanks

Will

:ok:

FlyingForFun
28th Jul 2003, 15:26
I've been thinking about taking Meteorology at universityGo for it. I know nothing about Met except what I needed to pass the exams (and I've forgotten most of that except the bits which are useful for flying around the UK). I'd be surprised if it's any help in passing exams, because we all know that examiners simplify things so that people who really understand the subject just end up getting confused. But I'm certain it would be a benefit in real-life flying. As long as it's a subject you enjoy, it sounds like a good choice to me!What line of work one could do, which would benefit themselves when it comes to getting a job back in flyingI would suggest anything which pays well enough for you to keep your flying current in your spare time.

FFF
------------

Spike001
28th Jul 2003, 18:13
Cheers for the reply. It's definetly something to think about.
I'll inquire about it at flying school, and i'm also quite possibly heading to the US soon, so it might be worth contacting the odd few companies there as well.

Cheers :cool:

mad_jock
29th Jul 2003, 01:31
If you thik you can hack it how about being an optician?

They are minted 35k+ within 2 years of graduating.

And plenty of locum work out there if you need to get some extra money in your pocket.

MJ

palgia
29th Jul 2003, 12:02
Hi Spike,

If you are thinking of coming to the US are interested in both flying and aviation related meteorology I'd take a look at Embry-Riddle's website (www.erau.edu). They offer a dozen different degree programs all aviation-oriented.... and they also provide flight training.
However, if you are looking for a degree that will get you a good paying job easily, I would definately not recommend meteorology... there are few jobs and most of them require you to have at least a master's degree. And the pay is pretty bad:(

But if you enjoy staring at clouds and are truly interested in understanding the dynamics of our atmosphere then I say go for it! :ok:
I've made that decision 2 years ago and I m now a senior double-majoring in meteorology and aeronautical science and I enjoyed every minute of it!

If you have any questions about ERAU or any other meteorology course in the SE US send me a PM.

parris50
29th Jul 2003, 20:07
If it's money you want, take up plumbing or scaffolding:O

Spike001
29th Jul 2003, 20:10
LOL

I'm trying to get out of that type of work ie. Gardening/labour work, which is financing the flying @ the mo.

I want to do something that i'm interested in and will enjoy and not just for the money :p

Cheers

ALLBLACK
30th Jul 2003, 06:54
wHY DONT YOU TRY SEWING AND COOKING

pROP

parris50
30th Jul 2003, 19:45
Spike,

I agree, enjoying your work is the most important thing. If you want to do CPL/ATPL I'd say go for it. Things are bound to pick up eventually. After all, why is there all this debate about putting gnew runways all over the place? Someones got to drive the planes...

Spike001
30th Jul 2003, 19:59
Yep well i'm definetly sticking with it.

I've been doing abit of research over the last few days, and i've found out that it's very well taking ATPL groundschool, but it's only valid for 2yrs, during which you have to pass a CPL and IR.

The total costs for ATPL groundschool, CPL, IR, in a duration of approx 2yrs 7 months, comes to £21,000!:(

So from that alone, i need to do some saving. The meteorology course on the other hand requires either a good pass in Maths or Physics A level. I did pass Physics A level, but not at an excellent grade, so it looks like i'm going to have to work at some where like London Gatwick for approx. 2-3yrs, gaining flight experience, touching up on my maths and physics skills, maybe the odd qualification in flying or else where along route and saving up for the ATPL etc.

I feel that's sadly the best way to do it, avoiding the debt situation, allowing enough time to prepare for the courses ahead and also HOPEFULLY the aviation industry will pick up during that period.

It's better not to jump into the deep end and regret it I say.

P.S.

If anyone knows of any good jobs going at Gatwick, please give us a buzz, pref. airside.

Cheers guys

Will :cool:

Just_Another_PPL
2nd Aug 2003, 05:58
Why are you not willing to go into debt?

Just jump in dont fanny about working somewhere and then say "i will do my ATPL when i have the money and evreything looks good" you will just be saying that forever, if you know you want to fly just get into debt, after about 6 months of being in ridiculous debt and having absoloutley no idea how you are going to pay it back life becomes a lot more fun!!!

I dont know how old you are but dont waste years, jump in the water aint that cold.

Spike001
2nd Aug 2003, 06:36
I am willing to go into debt, but just not of those proportions.

Getting a loan on £21,000 would mean paying back at least £30,000!, and I wouldn't have even started getting those 150hrs!

"after about 6 months of being in ridiculous debt and having absoloutley no idea how you are going to pay it back life becomes a lot more fun!!!"

LOL er.... yea right!.. more like watching the penny's.

The stress, rising debts, possibility of family bailing you out if times get hard..

Your either trying to be so sarcastic, or otherwise I really wonder how you think.

"if you know you want to fly just get into debt" ..... this has got to be the most childest thing i've ever read, makes me wonder how old YOU are!

Thanks for the tip ;)

parris50
3rd Aug 2003, 05:26
Don't want to put a damper on things but your £21,000 estimate is a bit low.

Don't forget,

Hours building c£90 per hour in the UK
CAA exam fees £750 plus 50 odd quid per resit (if you need any)
Multi Engine Piston course £1500
CPL and IR you have allowed for but there is the possibility that you may not do it in the minimum hours. IR training is about £300 per hour plus approach and landing fees.
CPL and IR test fees £607 plus aircraft hire. Try to make sure you pass first time
B & B accommodation while you train

You are right to be cautious and should consider the financial implications of all this. As for me, yes I'm one of those in debt but don't regret a moment of it. The training is an adventure, difficult at times but worth it in the end!

Spike001
3rd Aug 2003, 06:52
Hi Parris50

Thanks for sheading some more light on the matter.

Yes I know I'll be getting into debt sometime, my main concern is trying to keep it to a minimum and how to achieve that.

Surely one can't get a MASSIVE loan e.g. £30,000 without any security on it, not to mention the risk that one might not get a job at the end of the day.

Parris, how did you go about trying to keep your debt's to a minimum?

Cheers

:ok:

WX Man
3rd Aug 2003, 18:23
I think the only university that does Met as an actual degree is Reading. It's therefore quite competetive and you'd need something like ABC at A level, or maybe higher.

Met at university level is not so much focussed on the practical but more on the theoretical. LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of mathematical models that would blow the average mind.

Unless you're very mathematically minded and can use computers to - like - advanced programming level in something like C and Perl, you might want to think twice about doing a Met degree.

If you're not like that, but still want to study Met at uni, then do a degree that will allow you to study a few Meteorology/Climatology modules. Like Environmental Science, Geology with Geography, Geography BSc etc.

Or, just study something that will keep you captivated for 3 years. Or maybe do a degree course that includes the 14 ATPL exams (for which you will have to pay in full, I think).

parris50
3rd Aug 2003, 22:14
Spike,

To save wasting money, I did things step by step at first.

1. Went for a trial PPL lesson to see if I liked it. Sounds like you've already made this decision

2. Did GAPAN aptitude test to see if I had the makings of a pilot (£150)

3. Did Class 1medical (£400)

To raise the cash for training, I used equity in my house but it sounds like you don't have that option. My brother took a career development loan of £30k from, I think, HSBC. He takes money when he needs it and starts paying back a year after he's finished training.

Hours building costs can be reduced by taking passengers who can pay their share. Remember that with a PPL, legally you have to bear your share of the costs.

To keep interest costs down I opened a VirginOne account. I was given a credit limit secured on my house. It meant that I only borrowed as each invoice became due and that kept interest down a bit. Also all my finances run through this account and that helps too. Savings keep the balance lower.

There's no way this is ever going to be cheap but you are right to be cautious about getting in too deep too soon. The really big costs don't arise until you start your IR so you'll need to be prepared for that.

Good luck!

AP

Just_Another_PPL
5th Aug 2003, 04:21
Sorry Spike, one of those days, it finally dwaned on me how much debt i am in and i was just being silly to lighten my own mood. So yes i was being sarcastic and i am sorry for hijacking your topic.

P.S. Anyone got 15k to spare?