PDA

View Full Version : What Pilots Want...after 9-1-1

safecockpit
9th Nov 2001, 10:57
Everything changed on September 11.
The pilot profession is at the epicenter of the "new thinking" aimed at neutralizing terrorist turmoil in the skies.
New theories abound in aviation industry brainstorming sessions since 9-1-1 /2001. And
whatever decisions are made will be forced upon pilots just like some of the "emergency"
actions taken so far.

12 years ago I was on the initial Boeing engineering team defining the 777 airplane with our 8 key airlines. For 8 years I've been working with airline pilots, flt ops, & engineering groups in technical and safety matters.

Maybe you are a bit skeptical about some of the hijack-neutralizing "solutions" being promoted by industry vocals, some claiming to speak for the pilot community. Is secretary Mineta's Rapid Response Team truly hearing what the pilots really want, or just what ALPA or airline management voices "think" they want ?

In this day of worldwide email instant communications, it'd be simple to obtain rapid yet unbiased and unfiltered feedback DIRECTLY from pilots ! But is it being done from independent sources ?
If worldwide pilots' consensus was known (and statistically valid) for each of the major
proposals to ensure cockpit security, energies could be focused within the industry to get there quicker, instead of endlessly debating the issues and/or implementing solutions pilots don't prefer.

A 777 assistant chief pilot at a major airline helped me develop a pilot survey to quantify worldwide pilot opinion on everything from gun-toting pilots (or cabin crew!!) to remote-controlling the airplane from the ground. There is even an opportunity for pilots to input ideas which did not make it to the Mineta RRTeam floor.

If you'd like to make your opinion count on this critical subject, send a blank email to
[email protected] with a subject line of "Send Survey" to receive a self-explanatory
email survey. You'll also be invited to view the final research results. This is short fused, with an end date of Dec 1, so don't put it off.
[email protected]

mrdaz
30th Nov 2001, 13:52
Could you let us know the response and feedback you have received since this post safecockpit ?

GlueBall
4th Dec 2001, 23:28
Cockpit Crew Only forward Lav and mini crew galley separated with secure bulkhead and door from main cabin! :cool:

stallwing
24th Jul 2006, 13:48
also , some micro-camera along the fuselage inside the plane to overview the pax

xetroV
24th Jul 2006, 14:14
Safecockpit, I see you've asked this question before, right in 2001, so apparantly you are very serious about this subject. Trouble is, I could share my thoughts with you, but how do I know you are who you say you are? I'm not sure if discussing safety matters with anonymous people is a good idea. Anyway, I'm probably overly cautious, since I haven't sent that blank email yet (thus haven't seen your reply). Going to do so right now...