PDA

View Full Version : Route to becoming an FI?

b025053
27th Jul 2003, 23:43
Whats the shortest route/structure to being a FI, minimum Hrs etc??

I thank you:hmm:

Obs cop
28th Jul 2003, 05:07
As far as I understand it,:ugh:

To earn as an instructor you need to hold a CPL, 200 hours (including 150 PIC)and have completed an FI's course. This will put you on the very bottom rung of the ladder. No doubt a quick search of this site would reveal many more detailed answers.

It is possible to instruct on a PPL (not for remuneration of course) but I think the hours required increase to 300 and obviously you would not need to hold a CPL.

The details can be got through the CAA website LASORS.

The route I am taking is:

PPL £4500
Night Rating £500
Hours building £6500
CPL/ATPL distance learning £2000
CPL £4000
FI Course £5500

To the grand total of £23000

Gulp:sad:

Obs cop

b025053
28th Jul 2003, 05:18
Cheers Obs,

This is a similar structure to what i had in mind!

Are you doing distance learning with London Met? They are the only one I know of. I was @ Pilot Assist, but they went to the receivers in Jan, taking my £8K CDL with them no-less.

How about hour building? US or structured stylee over here?

All the best

Cheers Again

Obs cop
28th Jul 2003, 06:56
Planning to do distance learning through Atlantic Flight Training. Have visited them and they seem good. They were more interested in showing me their facilities than getting me to get large sums of money out. Give 'em a ring, they advertise most months in the rear of most flying mags.

Doing my hours over here as I can't afford time off work. You can get as low as £65 per hour if you look round and barter a bit.

Hope this helps

Obs cop

FlyingForFun
28th Jul 2003, 15:23
Are you doing distance learning with London Met? They are the only one I know ofLondon Met certainly aren't the only one! The full list is here (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/srg_fcl_ApprovedFTOs.pdf).

FFF
-----------

b025053
29th Jul 2003, 05:46
FFF-cheers, thats a useful extract.

Obs- Atlantic FT look sweet

B025:ok:

Send Clowns
29th Jul 2003, 16:49
The CAA document is not the easiest to scan through, so to help the distance learning organisations I know of in the UK (although I work for one, BCFT, this may not be exhaustive)

Atlantic
BCFT
Bristol
Cabair
GTS
London Met
OATS

Best of luck with the route to an instructor rating, I am just starting to get a little work on mine and love it :p !

Token Bird
29th Jul 2003, 17:31
Obs cop,

Not quite right with the requirements for the FI course.

You need 200 TT before you commence the FI course so will come out with about 230 by the end. If you only hold a PPL you need 150 hours P1. If you hold a CPL you only need 100 P1. TT requirement is the same for both,

TB

Obs cop
30th Jul 2003, 03:31
Cheers TB,

I was close but no cigar.

Obs cop