PDA

View Full Version : Ppl Ir

Pilot16
27th Jul 2003, 05:06
Hi,
Can someone quickly tell me the hour requirements for a PPL who wishes to start an IR course. Thanks ;)

I know the usual route is to do ATPL theory and then CPL after completing the PPL.

But I may not be able to do the ATPL theoretical course for a while due to full time study so gaining the IR before ATPL/CPL may be wise to keep up the training progress

(just thinking about all the options)

thanks.

PeteB
27th Jul 2003, 11:26
You need to do a 55 hour IR course if you have a PPL. However, I don't think you can actually take the test at the end of the course without having first passed all of the theoretical exams first. It may not be worthwhile doing the course under these conditions, as it would mean having to take the test at a later date and you may no longer be up to speed.
It's not that unusual to do the IR before the CPL though, as it does mean that you then only have to do a 15 hour CPL course.
Maybe look up the finer points in LASORS?
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/Lasors_Section_E.pdf

No. 2
27th Jul 2003, 21:44
Pilot16,

The hours requirement to apply for an IR has to include 50hrs cross-country as PIC, in addition to the training required for the rating itself.

You have to do 7 exams for the IR (14 in total for the ATPL) and there are a few schools that do this on a distance learning basis (check the CAA web site for a list). However, I'm not sure if these are a pre-requisiste to starting the course or whether you can do them whilst training. So it's worth checking that out. Also note that you have 36 months from the date at which you passed the last exam to get the IR.

The flying requirements for a PPL are 50hrs for single-engine or 55 hrs multi-engine. These hours are reduced by 5 if you hold a CPL.

No. 2

RVR800
29th Jul 2003, 17:15
You will be amongst a very select few who have
got the JAA PPL IR in UK

Only a handful have been granted... 20?

The IR has become the flight test for the fATPL in Europe
and is not intended for PPLs who are assumed to only
need VFR...

Quite unlike US where its assumed that such a rating
is essential for PPL's flying around the busiest airports
in the word such as Newark where the Wx is appalling