PDA

View Full Version : Australian Instrument Rating and ATPL Conversion?

VRB03KT CAVOK
26th Jul 2003, 17:22
Can anyone advise what will be required to convert an Australian Instrument Rating and Australian ATPLs to JAA?

Heard something about changes in 2005 to make things easier...

Thanks

redsnail
26th Jul 2003, 22:18
What have you heard and where did the info come from?

You haven't stated what your experience is. That makes all the difference.
Assuming you have no command time on +30 tonne aircraft this is what you need to do.
1. Medical at Gatwick. (~£200)
2. Some sort of abridged ATPL course. Best bet is a distance learning course. (£1-2,000)
3. 14 JAR exams. (~£750)
4. either the short IR, min of 15 hours or a type rating on a JAR 25 aircraft. Budget a min of £5K to £15K.
6. CAA examiner to watch said flight test. ~£620

VRB03KT CAVOK
27th Jul 2003, 08:06
Thanks Redsnail,

I heard the rumour of the Jan 2005 changes from an Aussie airline pilot looking to make the move, I just didn't get any details...

I'm not rated on any type with more than 6 seats so I'll be looking at the15 hour conversion.

redsnail
27th Jul 2003, 08:58
I just had a quick read of the new proposal to change Part 61 (I think that's the one).
The only significant change to the ATPL that I could see was the requirement to have multi crew time and training. That would align itself more with the JAR ATPL. If you already have an ATPL with multi crew time then I can't see it being any easier to convert. Australia can do what it likes with it's licence, it's up to the other countries to accept it or not. Somehow, I can't see the JAA welcoming Australia into the fold. (After all, Australia isn't in Europe and they aren't exactly welcoming the FAA rated folk here yet either!)

VRB03KT CAVOK
27th Jul 2003, 19:13
Redsnail,

Over here CASA are pretty friendly when it comes to converting Licences + Ratings. I'll be staying in Australia for a while to build up some hours instructing.

I guess I'll just have to do what is required of me at the time and get stuck into my Bristol Groundschool in the meantime.

The 14 JAA ATPL exams look a little scary compared to the 7 Australian exams. Everything also seems to be about three times the price in the UK but that's just another one I'll have to live with!

Thanks for your help.

:ok:

redsnail
27th Jul 2003, 20:28
No worries mate,
Yeah I thought CASA weren't proactive and forward thinking until I had to encounter the CAA. Some folk there are brilliant, the rest?, I wouldn't feed them.
I have an Aus ATPL as well so I don't have to convert my JAR ATPL. I know it's a lot easier going to Aus...
If you can, don't just instruct. Try as hard as you can to get into some charter with the aim of getting some 2 crew time if you really want to come over here. Generally, the recruiters eyes glaze over when you talk about single engine piston time.

VRB03KT CAVOK
28th Jul 2003, 22:07
Thanks Redsnail,

No surprises that the job market is as tough as ever over here. Instructing and the occasional scenic in a twin are the current option.

How favourable do you think Multi-engine ICUS time is looked upon?

VRB03kts.

redsnail
30th Jul 2003, 05:26
I hate to say it but most employers here won't really understand what it is. (They don't really do it here). Best get "real" command time and then get some multi crew turbine time. That's about all most airline companies will recognise here. (If converting)

Fogbound
30th Jul 2003, 17:36
It might be worth you having a look at 2 other threads along the same line - 'IR conversion' and 'required hours from FAA to JAA'. These cover the bones of conversion to JAA from any foreign licence recognised by ICAO.