PDA

View Full Version : Light Halos on the ground?

KiwiNewbie
10th Jan 2001, 01:12
I have often wondered what the explanation is of this strange effect. I fly single engine Cessnas and have often noticed below about 2500'AGL the shadow of the aircraft on the ground is surrounded by a halo of light. It actually appears from the cockpit that the ground surrounding the shadow of the aircraft is actually illuminated to a brighter level than the ambient light, if that makes any sense. Flying over dense bush or forest the shadow is invisible but there is still a bright ring of light visible. Why does it appear as if the ground is being illuminated by the aircraft?

exeng
10th Jan 2001, 05:19
Spooky!!
The truth is out there.

Regards
Exeng

Hew Jampton
10th Jan 2001, 22:25
When you get this effect on the cloud tops below you, and the halo is split into a spectrum of colours, it's called a Glory or Brocken's Spectre. Caused by refraction of light by ice crystals in the cloud top, but I can't explain how it would apply to forest etc, unless there were ice crystals on the treetops.

Genghis the Engineer
11th Jan 2001, 02:00
As it happens I flew on Saturday through a small cloud that happened to be in the way (yes I know, naughty). I could see right through it as I approached it, and had the sun behind me.

As I flew into it, for the 5 seconds or so it took me to pass through I had this amazing sight of a profile of my aeroplane right in front of me surrounded by a huge white halo. Rather spooky - particularly since I couldn't see anything else for the duration.

I've read somewhere about a similar phenomenon being seen by hillwalkers in cloud, although I've been flying and hillwalking for years, it's the first time I've seen anything quite so striking.

G

HugMonster
11th Jan 2001, 20:34
It's a result of chemtrails - definite proof of chemtrails :)

------------------
Breeding Per Dementia Unto Something Jolly Big, Toodle-pip

Genghis the Engineer
13th Jan 2001, 23:33
I went and did a web search on this and found...

http://www.allanbrown.fsnet.co.uk/spectre.htm

Which is certainly pretty damned close to what I saw - how about anybody else?

G

Ultralights
15th Jan 2001, 10:11
I have noticed this also, flying over urban areas as well as clounds and fields, i guess it can be explained by the story in the link above, as whenever you are looking at your shadow, the sun will always be at your back. and if your flying, there is a lot more air to look through to see the shadow on the ground. ?