PDA

View Full Version : Atpl Theory Exams

willby
25th Jul 2003, 06:19
Could anyone please advise what is the best or most suitable scientific calculator for the theory exams.
What is meant by the requirement that the calculator must be non alpha numeric?
Thanks

MVE
25th Jul 2003, 08:01
Hi,

Any basic Scientific calculator will do. You will need to do sin, cosine and tan functions and 2 memories will be useful.
By alpha.... they mean no ability to store letters or program the thing. ie so you can't write notes on it to take in with you and cheat and so you can't program in useless formulas that the CAA/JAA make us prove we can recall from memory.
Hope that helps.....:ok:

NineEighteen
25th Jul 2003, 13:57
In addition to the functions mentioned above, a degrees/minutes/seconds (° ' '') button is v.useful for Navigation type questions. A fraction key can also come in handy (a b/c). I believe most scientific calculators include these buttons.

I use a Casio fx-992s and it's been great!

Send Clowns
25th Jul 2003, 16:48
I would say (as a General Navigation instructor) that the degrees, minutes and seconds button is one of the most helpful functions in answering exam questions quickly without errors. I would also add that an "ANS" button (to input the last answer at any chosen point in a calculation) is very handy and for Radio Nav an "ENG" button is useful (this expresses the number as a multiple of the most convenient power of ten, in steps of 3, e.g. it would turn 112 370 000 into 112.37x10^6. Useful for working out whether you are seeing hundreds of MHz or GHz) and an "EXP" button to input in a similar fashion.

A 1/x button (or x^-1) is also handy if you know how to use it to take the reciprocal of a number.

All scientific calculators have the trigonometric functions, and most nowadays have all the extra functions mentioned. There is a Sharp one (with a white case) which often lasts about 6 months before the front falls off. It is still useable, but irritating if you are just taking your exams. Most of my students use a Casio fx-83MS available from Tesco for around £7-8

buzzc152
25th Jul 2003, 19:18
I can't remeber which model it is exactly.... but my casio has an excellent conversions function..... converts km to nm, inches to meters, US gal to UK gal...... about 40 conversions in all I think. Really really excellent for gen nav.

Do a search. I found the recommendation on an old post. Cost about a tenner. It really did take take some of the stress out of the time pushed gen nav exam. Oh, and it has a degrees, minutes button too.

willby
26th Jul 2003, 06:05
Hi Thanks to all who replied to my query, your observations and suggestions are very helpful and much appreciated.
Willby