PDA

View Full Version : What to ask FTOs before you decide.

Mintflavour
25th Jul 2003, 01:27
Any tips for questions and things to look for when visiting an FTO before you decide to hand over the money.
Im currently looking at FTOs to offer CPL.
Done some visiting but they all look the same, and say the same, ( well there is only one set of requirements as set by the CAA) price varies a bit but that really doesnt say much, or does it?
Apart from references is there any other way of recognising a bad FTO?

I see that Stapleford are offering CPL at £3000 but the average price has been about £4000-£4500, how come they are so much cheaper?
any help would be appriciated

cheers

Mint

FlyingForFun
25th Jul 2003, 01:48
I would suggest that what you ask depends on what you're interested in. Personally, I need to do a CPL in the shortest time possible, because of work commitments. So I'm asking about the weather above every other consideration. I'm also concerned with aircraft and instructor availability. Questions basically centre around how long most students take to complete the course.

But that's just me. I'd imagine that for most normal people (I never consider myself normal!) the price would be more important than the weather, for example. Or maybe you're concerned about local accommodation.

Sorry - but there really isn't a definitive answer. Especially since you've presumably been around aeroplanes and training establishments enough by now to have a rough idea!

As for Stapleford, I have no idea - why not phone and ask them?

FFF
--------------

parris50
25th Jul 2003, 06:33
By the way, don't just hand over the money. Pay as you go. It may cost more but your money is safer. Ignore inducements to pay lots up front. It's fair to keep you account in the positive by a reasonable amount but you shouldn't have to pay for the whole course in one go. Some schools have an account that protects student fees in the event of the FTO going out of business. Ask about this. So many people in the last few months have been caught out by FTOs going broke.

Have a look at the facilities. Are there briefing rooms where your flight can be analysed in private? What's the flight planning area like.

Better than asking questions, see if you can have a ride in their simulator. It might give you a feel for the instructors' style. Better still, see if you can take a back seat ride.

If you can chat to other students, they may give a good info. If you can get details of past students, they may could offer more of an insight. For example, how many stayed to do the IR?

What is the instructor/student ratio. How many aircraft. How many hours on the complex type (eg Piper Arrow)

Not a lot of point in asking about the weather. You've no way of knowing what it will be like except in the short term. You will need good weather for most of the CPL course - nav, handling, emergnecies.

Choosing a school is a difficult but import decision. You have to judge by your own criteria of course but I hope this helps!

AP

cfb
25th Jul 2003, 06:55
Parris makes some valid points, particularly about payment.
Some other considerations on your list when visiting the FTO:-
> Ask to see the Training Manual - How many ground school briefings, and how what flight details are listed.
> Will you be issued with a self study pack / Student Guide – how comprehensive.
> Meet YOUR Instructor. How many hours does he/she have - preferable 3000 hrs +
> See the facilities - briefing rooms, self study etc.
> What facilities on the Airfield - Minimum 3 runways for all wind conditions, (including crosswind landings) full ATC, AFTN, etc
> How many students per Instructor - Maximum 2.
> Length of course - 3 weeks, + 1 week safety time and skill test etc.
> Aircraft - best if you can do the entire course on a complex (eg Arrow).
> Continuity - Are you going on to ME / IR - same Aircraft fits and Instructors gives the very best chance of a First Class Result, and a CV to be proud of.
> Lastly - Speak to current and past Students - They reveal all

regards cfb

No. 2
25th Jul 2003, 16:11
Mintflavour,

What's been said above are all worthwhile things to check. For me personally one of the most important things would be the quality of the instructor. It is (s)he that will be training you so they must be of the highest quality, have as much experience as possible and be interested in your progress. It's not going to be the easiest thing to find out but a lot of your questions IMO should be focused on determining the standard of instruction at a school.

Good luck.

No. 2