PDA

View Full Version : IFR pc based trainers

Ray Ban
24th Jul 2003, 15:30
Hi all,

I'm approaching the time when I need to renew my IR but would like to purchase an IFR trainer to practice procedures before getting into the aircraft or FNPT2 and blowing some money! :ooh:

I'm looking for something a bit more than RANT, like ASA's IFR OnTop, however the price listed in Transair and at ASA's web site is markedly different. Also having received an email from ASA, it appears the database is geared up for the US.

My question is, has anyone used IFR OnTop for practising SIDs and instrument approaches at UK airports?

Thanks. :ok:

Genome_Junkie
24th Jul 2003, 17:34
Ray Ban

I have On Top.

The database is worldwide with major airports, not just US so you can do procedures in the UK.
I found that all the localisers were out but there is an airspace editor that allows you to adjust everything, including generating new airports. I have a slightly older version of the program and they do not give out updates of the database. I am not sure if the database has been changed in the new version but I did complain to them.

The sim itself is not too bad but I am sure it could be a lot better.

There is no ADF dip. The needle is as steady as a VOR needle on the RMI.

I really can not manage to fly a hold in the sim properly - so I guess the wind algorythm is wrong.

In my opinion the aircraft flight models are rubbish but then all I wanted to do is practice the procedures around BOH.

Landing the aircraft is impossible.

It is NOT an aircraft procedures trainer. So don't expect to be able to do any of the after take off checks etc.

There are a few other issues with it that are more annoying than serious - eg. R/W lights at night are only on if the OBS is set to within 10 degreegs of R/W direction. Screws you if you have it preset for a SID track that is more than 10 dregrees off the R/W heading. You basically end up with a dark runway or you need to be fast in resetting the OBS after T/O.
My ?solution? is to forget the nightflying and just use daytime settings. Night is no different to day anyway. Instead of a white "cloud" window you just get a black "nothingness" window. Big deal.

All-in-all, a simple procedural trainer that does its job.

I used it for a couple of hours before I went back to BOH to do my renewal. Went into the Frasca for an hour then into the plane for an hour then did the renewal. Passed.

Arnie

Fujiflyer
26th Jul 2003, 20:13
I too have "On Top," v5.0. I bought it directly from ASA which was without problems (though you will get stung VAT when it arrives). I bought IP trainer at the same time which is good for initial IFR training.

For what it cost me I have been pleased with the performance. As GJ says there are some drawbacks although I can't say I've had problems with the landings - probably down to software version. I use it to brush up if I haven't flown IFR for a while and it does the trick nicely. I am not aware of any software in the price range which is any better but as this package is "good enough" I haven't really looked.

I suspect if you want something substantially better from a PC simulator then you should be looking at the interface beween the PC and yourself. Multiple screens (separate avionics stack & instruments) as well as some realistic hardware controls (yoke, rudder & radios) could be considered...

Rich

Fujiflyer
29th Jul 2003, 03:09
Just found this interesting article on the PPL/IR site on the sims:

http://www.pplir.org/journals/old/InstrumentPilot35.pdf

(pages 21-22)