PDA

View Full Version : these new cockpit doors and stability....

jetset pete
5th Nov 2001, 07:46
Hi all,
Apologies if this is discussed elsewhere, but I was reading an article in the sunday mail saying that certain pilots in BA/virgin were raising doubts about flying with these new doors.
The argument so the paper quoted was that the cockpit floor was liable to become unsafe in the event of a depressurisation with these strengthened doors in place. I have racked my brains as to why this may happen - are these doors air tight? Can anyone come up with a reason as to why this may happen?... cheers.

Spodman
5th Nov 2001, 08:13
I am no expert, but recently read about a cargo-door blow-out affecting a DC-10 (years ago). When the door blew out, the pressure differential between the cabin and the cargo hold caused the floor to fail, carrying away some seats with people strapped in....

If there is a sudden depressurisation in the flightdeck the pressure differential from the cabin would currently be relieved by the crummy door opening/breaking. If the door is stronger than Superman the whole bulkhead, or even the floor might go in the same circumstance.

Rather than needing a new door-lock an aircraft might suddenly lose hydralics, electrical systems, controls and/or the oxygen. Maybe the whole nose could detach like an Apollo command module, but maybe not... :confused: