PDA

View Full Version : Handiest aerodrome for London.

mikebaynes
22nd Jul 2003, 02:28
O.K. you highly intelligent and motivated lot, Which in your opinion
is the easiest airfield for a visit to London.
Which is handiest for the tube, railway station or bus route.
I am looking for some where that accepts singles and is open before 9am. and if you have an idea of landing fees that would help as well.

Ta

CSX001
22nd Jul 2003, 02:33
The answer will depend on where you want to get to in London, where you are coming from (Cheshire I suppose) and how quickly you need to get into London from the airport.

Candidates include Denham, Elstree, Stapleford, Biggin, Fairoaks, Redhill, White Waltham and even Blackbushe.

Charlie.

wizpigbig
22nd Jul 2003, 03:59
15mins to Bromley south by taxi , 20mins by train to Victoria,
hours 0730 - 2100 wk day 0900 -2000 wkend
landing fee approx £ 18 for light single

Monocock
22nd Jul 2003, 04:34
Heathrow.................every time.

:8

rotorcraig
22nd Jul 2003, 04:36
Battersea's central, but the runway's very short :D

RC

Timothy
22nd Jul 2003, 05:31
Mike

Where are you coming from and where exactly are you going?

W

mikebaynes
22nd Jul 2003, 12:36
Heathrow is an option providing I an not flying BA, via terminal one!

I am coming from Manchester, egcc. To an address ten minutes walk from Euston station.

North or south of London is not a problem. its how easy to get on to public transport from the airfield.

Ta

jumpseater
22nd Jul 2003, 16:14
Panshanger 20 miles north of centre.
10 min taxi ride to Welwyn Garden City, Welwyn North or Hertford North railway stations all on WAGN to Kings Cross, WGC gives greater choice of trains, and good rail service from WAGN generally.

Timothy
22nd Jul 2003, 16:19
You are starting and remaining to the N and NW of London, so I would dismiss all except Panshanger, Elstree and Stapleford.

I don't know about Panshanger, but that sounds good.

Alternatively, Elstree, taxi, or friendly local, to Borehamwood Station, direct train to Euston and then, depending on whether the ten minutes walk is to the West/South of Kings Cross (consider walking or cab) or to the North/East (consider Tube or cab.)

Stapleford, I guess two choices, taxi or friendly local to Theydon Bois, Tube to Liverpool Street, then Circle Line to Kings X (a long haul) or possibly better taxi to Walthamstow, then Victoria Line (which is much faster) direct to Kings X.

W

buzzc152
22nd Jul 2003, 17:03
Elstree is by far the easiest option. Only a few mins from the station then a train direct to central London.

FlyingForFun
22nd Jul 2003, 17:22
Agree with other recent comments - I don't particularly like Elstree, but it's definitely the most convenient for Euston.

FFF
------------

Lemoncake
22nd Jul 2003, 17:39
Mike,

Come into our farm strip if you wish. Near Hatfield disused, 475 metres, no landing fee :ok: but no fuel I'm afraid. No problem before 9am, and I'm sure we could sort out a lift to the station (25 mins to Kings X.) Send me a mail if you like, and we can go from there.