PDA

View Full Version : Clearing the top of the Alps (not literally)

Winkiepinkie
21st Jul 2003, 20:19
Right, not sure if this belongs in Tech Log but got another one of my weirdo questions that needs answering if that’s ok with you.

Can any of you lucky ducks flying out of Linate (Italy) tell me how high you are by the time you have just crossed the Alps just entering Switzerland on your way to the UK (or equivalent). Are you at your cruise altitude (37,000 ft) or still climbing, say in a 757.

And while I’m here, I’ll be lazy and ask with how much height do you clear the tops of the Alps (on average).

Once again, thanks in advance for any replies.

W.

square leg
21st Jul 2003, 22:11
Hi,

The MGA (Minimum Grid Altitude) in that sector is 16400 ft according to the LIDO charts. At the latest above Switzerland, the chaps in their 757's or whatever they might be flying should have reached FL160 depending on the day's QNH. Sometimes when the weather is CAVOK, we simply turn left and head north ASAP traffic/ATC/MIL permitting. Mt. Rosa near Zermatt is 4634 m high. So flying at FL160 you should cross this specific peak by more or less 2000 ft. But the quicker one get's to cruising level the better. But the route structure will not be taking one over this peak (just an e.g.)

Kind Regards

Captain Stable
22nd Jul 2003, 20:12
Moving to Questions Forum

Winkiepinkie
23rd Jul 2003, 20:16
Thanks square leg