PDA

View Full Version : 300 nm X-Country before CPL

duir
21st Jul 2003, 17:34
I am going to attempt the 300 nm X-Country soon. The one you need to do before the CPL training. My CPL flight training is a long way off (next summer) however I wanted to make use of this summer and any good weather we have.

My plan is to attempt a route to Scotland somewhere. Possibly Oban then Dundee.

2 Questions ;

What are the rules and do I have to take an official form with me to be countersigned at the Airfields I land at to prove I did it?

expedite_climb
21st Jul 2003, 17:43
There is no form. Not sure about rules, didnt think there were any other than 300nm stopping at 2 other airfields.

Probably sensible to try and do a triangular route.

Just annotate your logbook by the three appropriate entries, and enjoy.

wobblyprop
21st Jul 2003, 18:14
tip from an instructor was to keep the receipt for the landing fee as proof of landing at said airfield

No. 2
21st Jul 2003, 21:09
Can the X-country include a night's stop over, or does it all have to be completed within the same day?

No. 2

expedite_climb
21st Jul 2003, 21:51
It is specified that it must be in the same day, unless there is a very good reason, and is approved by the authority.

FlyingForFun
21st Jul 2003, 22:10
Expedite_climb - I think that's wrong, I don't believe it does have to be done on the same day. Unless you can provide me with the reference of where it says that, of course ;)

FFF
--------------

expedite_climb
22nd Jul 2003, 01:02
FFF, I would say I like a challenge, but I think you got me there....

Sure it used to be the case when I did mine (CAA), but having just searched through LASORS it no longer specifically says you have to.:hmm::hmm:

However CPL application form says 'Date of 300nm flight' .....

Perhaps something to clarify with the CAA ???

No. 2
22nd Jul 2003, 16:40
Had a look at JARs and that also mentions nothing about doing it the same day. Shall give the CAA a ring and clarify.

No. 2

Dude~
22nd Jul 2003, 17:12
I believe the two airfields other than that of departure and landing have to be at least 50nm apart. I am pretty sure you have to do it in one day.

To clarify you have to fly from A to B to C to A. B and C must be 50nm apart or greater and total straight line distance bewteen A,B, C and A must be 300nm or greater.

What I dont know is if they accept A,B C to D. Never mind, I've done mine anyway.

Token Bird
24th Jul 2003, 23:32
Must be done on the same day unless there is a good reason, eg, technical difficulties, in which case just inform the CAA and they will accept it. Must include at least 2 land-aways and return to aerodrome of departure. Doesn't specifically say so in JAR-FCL but am sure it's true,

TB

Mintflavour
25th Jul 2003, 01:15
I was planning to use my trip to jersey, (overnight stay) then over to Guernsey, then to shoreham then home again as my qualifier, kept reciepts etc, as this is well in excess of 300NM nearer 500Nm(eventhough I stopped at 4 airports) and the fact that this took me over international waters surely the CAA can not deni that this proves an excellent experience, well in excess of what they are asking. If they do then they are complete B*****ds. Well Im starting my CPL next month so I will let you know if they reject it.

Mint

RodgerF
25th Jul 2003, 01:41
For what its worth I specified on my application form for the CPL a 300nm X-country Elstree-Cardiff-Shannon (2 day stopover) then Shannon-Liverpool-Elstree. I'd done it early in my career and it was the longest flight I'd done when I reached the CPL hours. No one queried it.

No. 2
25th Jul 2003, 18:27
For those who insist that it must be done on the same day, please give a link to the reference because I can't find it. I've checked both CAA and JAA publications and have seen no mention of a 'same day' requirement. :confused:

No. 2

topper2
25th Jul 2003, 20:36
I did mine in the California:
Bracket(LA) to Lake Tahoe, ........overnight stay.......then Lake Tahoe to Portland via Chico Ranchaero (fuel stop).....overnight stay........I then flew back to LA over the following couple of days via Lake Tahoe and a small strip called weed.

The whole trip was well over 1000 miles and took 4 days in total. Do u think there might be any problems with this? It certainly couldnt all have been done in one day anyway.

FlyingForFun
25th Jul 2003, 20:51
I have heard many people suggest that the flight must be done in one day. But I have never heard of anyone having their application rejected because the flight was not done in one day (but have heard of several successful applications where this was the case), and I have never seen anything written down to that effect. Once again on this thread, those who insist it must be done in one day have gone very quiet when asked for a reference (except for expedite_climb who didn't go quiet but admitted he didn't have a reference! :))

And anyway, what if it's a night flight that starts at 10pm and finishes at 4am?

FFF
--------------