PDA

View Full Version : Help For Applicant

Easy226
21st Jul 2003, 06:56
Hi everyone, i think this post is better in this forum rather than medical and health...
Basically, I hold a JAA Class One medical and I'm just about ready to submit my application form for NATS. Now i have noticed that they want you to send your most current eye prescription test. I was wondering if it would be ok if i just send them a copy of my valid class one medical certificate or is this not good enough for them?!
Also, I've been reading on other posts something about the eyesight requirements being stricter for a CAA class one medical (rediculous)?! Can somebody clarify this being the case?
Many Thanks
Dan

360BakTrak
22nd Jul 2003, 00:04
No idea if there is a different standard between pilot class 1 and ATCO but if in doubt send both your medical and eye prescription to avoid delaying the selection process!
The CAA just assume that applicants dont hold a medical as in the vast majority of cases they dont.
You can ring either your local AME or the CAA and they can shed some light on the matter.
Good Luck!!

Spitoon
22nd Jul 2003, 01:09
I'm afraid I don't know the answer either but UK controllers don't get JAA medical certificates - I think they still use what was pretty much the same standards as the old CAA pilot Class 1 which may wel have more stringent eyesight criteria.

Sometime soon the harmonised European ATC licence will be introduced and there will be common medical standards although, AFAIK, they will not be the same as JAA certificates. And I think they'll still be Class 1, 2 and 3 but Class 3 will be the most stringent.

The bottom line is that if you've got a Class 1 certificate for flying I can't imagine that you wouldn't be eligible for a controller's certificate but the only people who'll be able to tell you for sure are the CAA Medical Department. I wouldn't bother with an AME and you might be best asking the CAA to drop you an e-mail confirming the paperwork that they'll accept. Call me a cynic if you will but the last bit of advice is based on experience!

Warped Factor
22nd Jul 2003, 03:29
There's a bit about the atco Class 1 (and it mentions that the CAA Class 1 is broadly in line with a JAA Class 1) at the CAA website here (http://www.caa.co.uk/srg/med/default.asp?page=529).

WF.

Easy226
22nd Jul 2003, 06:23
Thanks very much for the replies and links everyone:ok:. I'll be sending an e-mail to the caa. to clarify the exact requirements. Im sure it would be so much easier for everyone if they could state the specific eyesight requirements for the caa medical and not just the jaa!
Many Thanks
Dan

Warped Factor
23rd Jul 2003, 04:56
Best of luck with the application.

WF.

foghorn
24th Jul 2003, 20:56
I was in a similar position - I sent both. I don't know whether it made any difference, but I got through! Still waiting for the second round interview though, as they have deferred them all until the autumn while HR gets settled down in Swanwick.