PDA

View Full Version : NEW requirement for Traveling to US under Visa Waiver

iflysims
19th Jul 2003, 01:30
Machine-readable passports - Starting October 1, 2003, each Visa Waiver Program traveler must present a machine-readable passport (MRP) at the U.S. port of entry to enter the U.S. without a visa, otherwise a nonimmigrant visa is required. This change includes all categories of passports-- regular, diplomatic, and official, when the traveler is seeking to enter the U.S. for B-1/B-2 purposes. To learn more, see below.

Citizens of Belgium who wish to travel to the U.S. under the Visa Waiver Program must present a machine-readable passport (MRP) effective May 15, 2003.

More information can be found: http://travel.state.gov/vwp.html

Keygrip
19th Jul 2003, 05:24
Done it in the (locked) sticky post at the top of the forum - but keep it going if you have anything new to add!!

Tinstaafl
20th Jul 2003, 22:00
How would one know if their passport is machine readable? Mine gets barcode scanned or gets swiped through a slot device. I presume that makes mine machine readable?

Chinchilla.612
21st Jul 2003, 00:59
I could well be wrong on this one, but aren't all new UK passports machine readable? I know mine is and it was issued about 8 years ago.
So this thread surely doesn't apply to anyone in the UK???

newswatcher
22nd Jul 2003, 22:28
Chinchilla, passports issued in the UK since 1988 have been machine-readable, but the same may not be true of British passports issued overseas, of which there may be 200,000 in circulation.