PDA

View Full Version : Boeing 737 Landing Gear

woofer
8th Sep 2001, 10:44
Looking at the Manual Gear Extension checklist, the condition states that 'All landing gear do not indicate down and locked when the landing gear lever is placed in the DOWN position'. The word 'All' at the beginning of the condition is not making much sense(unless I am missing something) since if say only the right main wheels have not extended we can still use this checklist.

spannerhead
8th Sep 2001, 12:41
There is no technical reason why yu cannot manually extend only one gear..or two.
I think that the wording..all..is misleading but I am sure that if you faced the situation you would give it a go anyway!!

mutt
8th Sep 2001, 12:47
The use of the word "ALL" indicates that you must have 3 sets of wheels dangling below the aircraft in the locked position.

Would you prefer the checklist to read "If all 3 landing gear..."

Mutt

777AV8R
8th Sep 2001, 18:15
Gee Mutt, you are a genious!
How are you doing?
BTW..precisely...I would do everything I could to have "ALL" gear down!

FlapsOne
9th Sep 2001, 02:07
woofer

If you get anything other than all the gear down.....use the checklist.

mutt
9th Sep 2001, 09:50
Hi there 777av8r.

I guess that all those years of answering "intelligent" questions is starting to pay off :)

How's life in kimchi land?

Mutt :)

PS Give my regards to KH.

[ 09 September 2001: Message edited by: mutt ]

NorthernSky
9th Sep 2001, 21:44
Yep, it's another on the appalling 737 QRH.

Now, if it were called the 'Gear not down following down selection' checklist, we'd know what it was all about, wouldn't we...?

Don't even start on the flap non-normals.....

capt waffoo
10th Sep 2001, 03:51
Woof, just another sad example of the butchery of the English language by the Yanks. It's simply inaccurate and incorrect: you'd think the lawyers would have jumped on this (though they are probably just as illiterate as Boeing's QRH writers).

There is a world of difference between "All landing gear" and "any ....", a well educated five year old can see that. Compare the statements; "you can have any of my sweets" and "you can have all of my sweets".

Pretty unimpressive for a manufacturer so legally blinkered that they do not admit to the existance of "emergencies" because of the liability implications of their not having anticipated an event, so they call them "Non-normal" checks!!!!!!!!

How ridiculous!

QAVION
10th Sep 2001, 07:16
"they do not admit to the existance of "emergencies" because of the liability implications of their not having anticipated an event, so they call them "Non-normal" checks!!!!!!!!"

So you're saying that every non-normal situation is an emergency, Capt Waffo....and, in the process, implying that every English publication/Englishman uses the Queen's english)? ;)

Q.

P.S. Perhaps we should send these people to the colonies for their crimes against England and the mother-tongue? :rolleyes:

Canuck_AV8R
10th Sep 2001, 23:34
Woofer:

Begining of rant!!!!!!!!!!

It is just a statement describing the stiuation you find yourself in.

'All landing gear do not indicate down and locked when the landing gear lever is placed in the DOWN position'

When you select the gear down and you do not get 3 green lights. In this case not ALL of your landing gear are indicating down and locked. It doesn't say that ALL of them are stuck up (unlike some of the spelling and Queen's english morons on this forum) it says that ALL of them are NOT down.

Possibly the use of the word "if" at the begining of the statement would make it easier to comprehend, but we are all (suppossedly) educated individuals and should be able to figure out these little things that may not be absolutely correct but can none the less be understood.

I wonder would these individuals complain the next time something goes wrong on their A/C that it did not happen "by the book". We should be able to adapt to changing circumstances (this includes non usage of the Queen's english by us colonists and the fact that the Empire is gone) otherwise we do not deserve to be occupying seats in the pointy end of an aircraft.

End of rant!!!!!!!!

Cheers

http://indigo.ie/~owenc/starwars/images/pint1.gif

BmPilot21
13th Sep 2001, 01:15
I like the "Landing gear will not move up after take-off" checklist"!!

Short and punchy! At least it's accurate mind.

Ours just says "use this checklist if the gear is placed in the down position and a green light does not illuminate".

I think its fairly obvious really.

stator vane
16th Sep 2001, 01:09
perhaps that should be, "ALL Landing gear will not move ALL the way up after takeoff checklist ALL finished, and ALL of you didn't forget to raise the landing gear lever ALL the way up." checklist.

the original question still eludes me. never had any trouble with that one i must say. i agree the flap section is rich and as i mentioned on another thread the engine section is ripe for picking, but i never saw it as an english problem.

and anyone who drives on the wrong side of the road, and pronounces "saw" as if it had an "r" in there somewhere has no room to talk about boeing's english.

;)