PDA

View Full Version : ATPL Sponsorship chances

wallyfly
18th Jul 2003, 05:33
OK forget for a moment that there is a problem with getting pilot jobs and think to the future say 2 years from now when I will be 24.

At this time I intend to complete my JAA - PPL, IMC, and Night rating in the USA for use within the UK (where I'm from). What's then the chances of me getting a sponsorship to complete the rest of my training upto ATPL? say from an airline or any other form of sponsor for that matter.

wobblyprop
18th Jul 2003, 17:03
wallyfly,

As you may have read around here, easyjet are really the only one offering sponsorship at the moment. What they are offering is a similar format to the scheme BA used to run.

If you are going to have a ppl in 2 years, the companies at that time will be thinking a year ahead. If they see that the demand is going to exceed the supply they may well start some form of sponsorship. This would mean they know that they have x cadets ready in ~12 months time.

Its hard to predict what will happen in 2 years. This year we've been uspset by SARS and the Gulf war mark 2.

Don't hold your breath.

P T Flea
19th Jul 2003, 01:29
Even if in two years you have all the ratings that you mention if there are no sponsorships being offered then of course you have no chance.

If there are sponsorships up for grabs then having all those things does not necessarily boost your chances of getting a sponsorship. Some companies like you to have some flying experience but not so much as to become set in your ways and difficult to train.

I have to say that if I intended to wait around for a sponsorship then the most that I would do would be a PPL. On the other hand you can't wait around and restrict your training just on the off chance that airlines start sponsoring again and that you get selected.

IMO you should go ahead and get all the things that you mention. If the airlines start sponsoring again, great, you can you apply. If they do not then you are a lot closer to getting your licences through the modular route than someone who has had a couple of trial flights.

If you want to fly then go for it! Do let the thoughts of airlines starting to sponsor again boost/crush your aspirations.

Best of luck

PT
:ok:

Obs cop
21st Jul 2003, 17:13
Gotta agree with P T Flea here.

At the moment there are few airlines offering sponsorship, but the signs of that increasing don't seem too promising.

However, when airlines generally do sponsor, it is usually (not always) through a fully integrated course. Whilst an allowance is usually made if you already have a PPL in terms of hours, there is a maximum they offset. I can't remember the exact figure, but it ain't that flexible. The net result is that all your training shows a dedication, but it does not mean you are sigificantly cheaper to train, moreover, there will be a concern that you could have bad habits needing re-training.

With all that in mind, I would suggest that you follow your current course. I spent 3 years trying to get onto a sponsorship scheme when they were far more abundant and often got to the last selection process. The main problem is one of a numbers game. There are so many applicants for each slot that only the very best get selected. You could be a superb potential pilot and never get a sniff.

Try for sponsorships by all means, but do not expect to get one. There are far too many people who do not understand the competitiveness and odds, and as such expect to just walk into a £60 to £70k training package! The real world ain't like that, but don't stop you ambitions. Treat sponsorship as the preffered route and self-funded as the likely route and you won't go far wrong.

boeingbus2002
21st Jul 2003, 21:58
There is a sponsorship opportunity!!
GAPAN or similar Aviation trusts sometimes run schemes for FATPL courses. Although no job at the end you will go through selection process.

Obs cop
22nd Jul 2003, 06:28
Gapan recently advertised for applications for their ATPL sponsorship. Not sure how many places there are but the intimation is that the award of the course is for one person only. Details are on the Gapan site.