PDA

View Full Version : Exam format

140cherokee
18th Jul 2003, 00:17
I'm thinking of doing a distance learning course. Not sure yet whether to change career, but the knowledge alone should improve my flying.

Question I have is, what format do the exams take? Are they multiple choice as per the PPL and IMC exams or true written exams like O-levels? How soon do you get to know your result (do they mark them in your presence and let you know straight away)?

Also, why do they have to be taken in blocks? Why can't you simply study each subject and sit that exam at the end of the module?

Apologies if these have been asked many times before.

mad_jock
18th Jul 2003, 00:28
Good old lasors should answer most of your questions

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/Lasors_Section_J.pdf

Papers are multiple choice 4 answers to choose from

As for why they are in blocks your brain would explode with the amount of info required.

I am sure there are some out there who could do the whole lot in a oner but it would be very hard work

Keith.Williams.
18th Jul 2003, 02:28
When the introduction of the JAR exams was being planned the intention was that students would be required to take all 14 exams in a single sitting. After much debate this was amended to allow two blocks of exams.

The approval for each course includes a specified teaching structure, which must be followed. Most of the schools went for two blocks, but some have now moved to three blocks to make life a little easier for the students.

Students are not obliged to take the exams immediately after completing a block of study. But before you can take an exam you must have completed the specified training for that subject. You can then take the exams in whatever size blocks you like, provided you complete all 14 within:

a. 18 months from taking the first exam.
b. 4 attempts at each exam.
c. 6 visits to the exam centre.