PDA

View Full Version : When Is A X-Country A X-Country

SpamCanDriver
17th Jul 2003, 09:07
Just wondering if anyone knows the min distance that needs to be flown in order to count a flight as x-country time? under JAR FCL:O

Thanks For ANy Help Spam

FlyingForFun
17th Jul 2003, 16:41
Can't remember, but it's very low. Something like 2nm, I think. Basically, it's anything other than circuits. (And at some airfields, if you follow the noise abatement procedure, it would even include circuits!)

Under FARs, it's 50nm, by the way - not what you asked, but I thought I'd add it anyway.

FFF
-------------

wobblyprop
17th Jul 2003, 16:57
yep, I was told any time you leave the circuit is counted as x-country

No. 2
17th Jul 2003, 18:39
To add to the above.

Definition of a Cross-country Flight from LASORS, section A:

Any flight during the course of which the aircraft is more than 3nm from the aerodrome of departure.

No. 2

FlyingForFun
17th Jul 2003, 18:51
Does 3mn count as "something like 2nm"? ;)

Thanks, No 2!

FFF
-----------

No. 2
17th Jul 2003, 19:30
FFF,

I suppose so!

Or are you starting to sweat with all that 2.5nm cross-country time in your log-book?;)

Good point about the FAA rules as that may catch someone out in the future.:eek:

No. 2

Cool_Hand
18th Jul 2003, 17:10
Just as a point of curiosity, I'm not being pedantic (honest),

What if you've flown 50% of your total time in the States, on a FAA(R) licence based on your CAA licence, what cross country rule would apply?

No. 2
18th Jul 2003, 17:26
Cool_Hand,

I presume that it would depend on which authority you are applying to for a licence/rating, if that is the case.

Julian
18th Jul 2003, 17:55
Correct No. 2 - mate of mine got caught out as he didnt have the XC time.

Another thing to be aware of is that if you apply for an FAA IR you have to have so many hours night flying - think its 5 but not sure.

Julian.

SpamCanDriver
18th Jul 2003, 19:45
Thanx for or the help guys I might have to get the old crap5 out again and plan myself another demanding 3nm x-country haha:}

mad_jock
18th Jul 2003, 21:38
Our local SATCO has a bit of wit.

When a student does an especially big circuit. He challanges them that they only booked out for circuits not for a x-country.

Some find it funny some don't and others are so max'd out they haven't even realised he is taking the piss.

MJ

skysoarer
19th Jul 2003, 06:12
When you land somewhere else!!!! ... other than where you took off from ... :=