PDA

View Full Version : Altimeter settings

Luke Mc
5th Sep 2001, 19:52
Hello
How long has ATC used the terms "QNH" and "QFE" for altimeter settings, and how long has the UK used millibars for altimeter settings, was those terms used (and millibars) during WWII? I know the USA used inches of mercury and usually does not refer to the Q codes for altimeter settings, just "altimeters", does that mean above field or MSL?
Luke

SLT
5th Sep 2001, 22:44
Hi Luke

I must confess, I don;t know how long ATC has used the Q codes for - a long time though I would imagine. As far as I know, the UK used Q codes and millibars during the war - but I'm perfectly willing to stand corrected on this. Technically - the UK uses hectopascals - one millibar equals one hectopascal. But in practice, most people refer to millibars. Yes the USA use Inches of Mercury, and they issue clearances in feet on the local altimeter setting, based on inches Hg below the transition altitude of 18000 ft. ABove that it's FL's but still based on inches, but they call it 29.92 in HG instead of 1013 millibars/hectopascals.

Hope this helps

SLT :)

DeltaTango
6th Sep 2001, 01:11
addition:
Flying in the FL ie. 29.92 is like saying QNE....

Have a good one
:DDT :D

Manflex55
6th Sep 2001, 01:50
A very complete (& recent) thread on this topic can B found here (http://www.pprune.org/cgibin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=002325).

MF