PDA

View Full Version : Electra water bomber crash near Cranbrook, BC

India Four Two
17th Jul 2003, 07:03
A Lockheed Electra water bomber belonging to Air Spray has crashed near Cranbrook BC. Two crew members reported killed.

http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2003/07/16/bc_crash030716

pigboat
17th Jul 2003, 10:26
Condolences to the families and the colleagues of the crew.:sad:

They lost an Electra and a couple of '26es in a hangar fire in Red Deer a couple years ago.

ferrydude
17th Jul 2003, 16:34
Sorry to hear that, condolences indeed. Anyone know of the circumstances? Structural failure perhaps?

Nineiron
17th Jul 2003, 16:58
The Toronto Sun are reporting that the crash happened just after the fire retardant material had been dumped while fighting a 5.4 hectare fire about 10k south of Cranbrook airport.

BRISTOLRE
17th Jul 2003, 18:22
Terrible news.
Was this one of the ex-Channex L188s recently withdrawn from the UK to go water bombing?

747FOCAL
17th Jul 2003, 22:01
Not that anybody cares, but to see where many of my relatives live, where my mom grew up here on PPRUNE and it is only a town of 20,000 or so is quite amazing. Sorry it has to be under such difficult circumstances. I don't think Cranbrook has made national news since that 737 crashed on approach back many years ago.

My condolences to them and theirs. :(

con-pilot
17th Jul 2003, 22:43
Doesn’t the Electra have a 3 person crew, PIC, SIC and an FE? Did one of the crew live? I have never flown an Electra but have a lot of friends that did, and they told me that the FE was the toughest position on the flight deck.

My deepest condolences to their families and friends.

:sad:

ferrydude
17th Jul 2003, 22:51
It was designed with an FE station and operated that way in the military and in Passenger service. In the restricted cat, all of the fire bombers I ever saw deleted the FE station

4Screwaircrew
22nd Jul 2003, 23:53
Channex sold only 1 Electra to be converted to a fire attack aircraft, I doubt that this conversion could have been accomplished in time for this aircraft to have been XS.

Whatever the history of the aircraft it is a tragedy for those involved and families torn apart by the accident.

Lance Murdoch
23rd Jul 2003, 04:04
Very sorry to hear about the accident in Cranbrook. I learnt to fly in BC and have many good memories of the area.