PDA

View Full Version : Viewing areas at LHR

Madtoonfan
17th Jul 2003, 04:24
As far as i know the viewing areas such as the queens building etc are still shut at LHR. Are my suspections correct?
If they are still shut i hope that they will reopen in the holidays. Im dying to get down again!:confused: :cool:

akerosid
17th Jul 2003, 14:01
Sadly they are, "for security reasons".

Word has it that the police are anxious for it to open again, as it keeps enthusiasts in one place; otherwise, much more of the time is taken keeping them away from other places, as the seek convenient nooks and crannies.

Focused security - not the US style, which simply regards everyone as a potential terrorist - would tell them that if people were congregated in one decent place, with a good view and under supervision, then it would allow limited resources to be better used.

amanoffewwords
17th Jul 2003, 14:59
The view from the airport visitor centre is pretty good - imho

Blighty Pilot
17th Jul 2003, 17:12
I am not a big plane spotting enthusiast but it would be nice if there was somewhere with a good view to stand for Concorde's last commercial landing on the 24th October. Does anyone have any tips if the Queens Building isn't re-opened.

carbootking
18th Jul 2003, 02:30
to see concords last flight all depends which way theyr taking off theres a good viewing area near t4 at an esso garrage otherwise its the visitor centre i imagine they would have a grand stand there as its a major event

Murrayfield Wanderer
18th Jul 2003, 06:23
Rumour has it that BAA will not be opening Queen's Buildong Spectators area again. This is not due to security reasons, but due to the Disability Discrimination Act (DDA) 1995, the full implications of which come into effect in 2004.

It would cost them a lot of money to upgrade access to that area in order to comply with the act. It would seem easier therefore to keep it closed for "security reasons" and hope that everyone forgets it ever existed, Just like they did at Glasgow and Edinburgh many years ago.

As for the Visitors Centre... it's no good if you are a photographer as it faces into the sun most of the day. Nice piece of planning.

MW

PaperTiger
18th Jul 2003, 06:36
As for the Visitors Centre...

I went there on my last RON at Heathrow. While it is certainly better than nothing, my impression was that it is aimed at schoolchildren and other casual visitors (ie. a Visitors' Centre). Not much to appeal to 'serious' spectators, it faces South as mentioned, has two (distorted and dirty) glass walls in front and nowhere comfortable to sit.

wrt Concorde's last flight, I imagine some arrangements will be made for the anticipated crowd. Can't let the French do it better now can we ?

Mark Lewis
18th Jul 2003, 18:11
There is a small building being constructed just to the South of 27L. I can find no specific info on it (Hopefully someone here can) but amongst the spoting crowd it is hotly rumored that this may turn into some "Spotters Grandstand".
However when I was last there it didn't look much like it, but they were only just starting construction on it.