PDA

View Full Version : Spotting at Belfast City

Madtoonfan
17th Jul 2003, 04:14
Hello all, i`m about to book a days spotting at Belfast Ciyt with FLYBE from NCL i was just wondering if anyone had any advice on spotting access and any hotspots for viewing there??
Thanks if you can supply any directions from the terminal or to any areas nearby. Thanks Madtoonfan

ALLMCC
17th Jul 2003, 16:22
MADTOONFAN

Really the best spot for viewing is inside the terminal on the 1st floor - reasonably good view of the ramp and runway although stands 1 - 3 can be obsured by walkway on stand 4 and particularly if a BMI airbus is parked there - as far as the perimeter is concerned the best place is Victoria Park which is situated at the 04 end of the runway - to get there leave the airport via the main entrance, head towards Belfast along the Sydenham by pass for about 200 yards and the park is on your right hand side just beyond the old airport entrance - good spotting!

Madtoonfan
18th Jul 2003, 00:22
Thanks 4 the info! Im flying down on a FLYBE Dash-8-100 Oh my!!!! I hope i get there!!!! :{ :ok:

Standard Noise
18th Jul 2003, 00:59
Or you could try the favourite position of the TV companies - on top of the railway bridge which sits over the dual carriageway outside the airport. Take the airport bus outside the terminal which runs down to the old entrance gate and you'll find the bridge right at the gate. It's a bit windy up there mind, and you've got to put up with the traffic noise. Oh yeah, and mind the locals, some of them bite!
Downside to the restaurant viewing area apart from the St4 airbridge being in the way, is the hideously expensive food and drink.

Tower Ranger
19th Jul 2003, 06:33
Have to agree with Standard the bridge is the most popular spot but when you get off the bus at the old terminal if you walk through all the rental cars you can get to the perimeter fence at 04 end.
You could always try and bluff a visit to Atc , I think thats what S.N. did and they kept him for four years!!!!

RAFAT
19th Jul 2003, 06:43
Madtoonfan - We don't have any DHC8-100s! If you're travelling from NCL it'll be a 300.

Madtoonfan
19th Jul 2003, 17:55
Sorry, FLYBE/BE are using Dash-8-200`s on the current belfast city service.

Hi can anyone give me any direcions to these viewing spots. E.G Maps or pinpoint routes. Thanks, it`s just because i havent been there before!!!!!! :cool:
Thanks
Also is there any pubs/restaurants around the perimeter area of the apt?
Thanks
Madtoonfan

Madtoonfan
23rd Jul 2003, 01:36
Isn`t there any bars/restaurants on the perimeter or nearby BHD????? :confused:

eastern wiseguy
23rd Jul 2003, 03:58
Best idea for a decent pub is a short taxi ride to the Dirty Duck in Holywood(no more than two miles).....there is a nice beer garden and the aeroplanes are literally over your head about 2miles out on the 22 approach Unless it is a seriously windy day you will see the departures off 04 as well and the stuff dropping in to BFS on a left base for 25(assuming we ain't on 07....:ok:...)as to anything else around BHD the short answer I am afraid is nothing...well I suppose the welders club or the Great Eastern on the Newtownards road ...but believe me you would NOT want to go there!!

Tower Ranger
23rd Jul 2003, 05:30
Oh Eastern , how naughty!!

The best place to visit for top quality food and drink is of course Belfast itself which if you have never been before will be a big surprise.

Belfast city center is only five minutes away from Bhd by taxi and you could probably walk it in the same time it would take you to find a decent place to eat near Bfs!

eastern wiseguy
23rd Jul 2003, 05:43
Well that is debatable ....since the lad is a spotter....sorry enthusiast I figured he would see more in Holywood......the best place for spotting near the city is surely in a Gazelle not above 2000 feet when something wizzes through his level on the way to 3000 feet:D

Tower Ranger
23rd Jul 2003, 05:56
Or in an Islander at three thousand depending on just how restrictive the outbound clearances are..........!

Kestrel_909
25th Jul 2003, 21:00
Madtoonfan, You could always try the 24hr Tesco Store at Knocknagowney (spelling?), it sits raised and if you get the binoculars and 500mm zoom camera out you can see fine:sad:

Or there is the gate in beside the 22 threshold that is somtimes locked, can't remember the name of it but I remember going in there one evening and the gate being locked, and as we turned a BMI A320 came in faily close.

Or alternatively, go to Manchester instead! (though I shouldn't really being suggesting to someone to go somewhere else when I am local ish) I hear it is the friendliest spotter airport in the UK, hell they even printed out timetables for spotters duing the cup final in Manchy, lowered the fences and brought in open top buses so spotters could take photos over the hedges etc.