PDA

View Full Version : Landing with Power

ALLBLACK
16th Jul 2003, 19:11
This is for the Preffesonal pilots , how imporatnt is landing a C172 with power , will say avoiding the days with a 20-30 knots headwind ,

Prop

strafer
16th Jul 2003, 19:51
Almost as important as using the 'preview post' button.

28thJuly2001
17th Jul 2003, 01:53
...Any "non-professional" pilots who knows the answer to this riddle please keep shtum..

Thank You.
28th,,

Pilot Pete
17th Jul 2003, 04:04
Haven't got a clue mate and I'm a professional pilot.:p

PP

Speedbird252
17th Jul 2003, 04:21
ALLBLACK, as you are an ATPL flying a Beech 1900 ive just gotta ask why you want / need to know this?

Im not 100% sure as to what you are asking, could you explain further?

Speedy

:confused:

Sensible
17th Jul 2003, 06:43
ALLBLACK, Ignore em all mate, I post whilst pissed sometimes and sympathise with you! :ok:

Ask the question again when the booze has worn off :ok:

Genghis the Engineer
17th Jul 2003, 14:52
Reminds me of the grief I got when I asked about "professional engineers" (the name of a licence in the US amongst other things). Then again, I did spell it right!

Anyhow, landing with power in strong crosswinds allows a shallower approach angle, and since near the ground the wind gradient is quite strong, this means a smaller crab angle / wing-down angle (depending upon preferred or recommended crosswind approach method) and thus a generally less hard work crosswind landing.

In a strong headwind, for the same reasons, it'll generally mean a quicker approach since you'll be getting out of the strongest wind components earlier in the final approach.

A further advantage is that in piston-prop aircraft the wash over the tail and wing centre section, combined with alteration of the forces on the aircraft tends to reduce the stalling speed, and thus gives you a (slightly) larger safety margin against inadvertent gust-induced stall on finals. (Although the flip-side of that is that if you do inadvertently stall it, there's a greater risk of wing-drop and spin with power selected.)

The above only really applies to piston-prop aircraft; jets and turboprops are really only designed and scheduled to be landed with power in a near 3° approach angle and so it's really a null question since landing at idle is generally an emergency procedure only on those. But you did ask about a C172.

G

Grob Driver
17th Jul 2003, 16:43
I’d say it’s pretty important… No power means the engine has failed! :mad: :{ :{

GD
:ok:

GRP
18th Jul 2003, 04:50
I don't know about landing with power but I have found it to be invaluable for take offs! :-)

Tinstaafl
18th Jul 2003, 22:05
Is the question about landing with power on, or making approaches using power?

Pilotage
18th Jul 2003, 22:55
One would have thought approaches, traditionally most pilots close the throttle (or at-least engage reverse thrust) once at-least 2 wheels are on the ground.

P

Pilot Pete
18th Jul 2003, 23:17
(or at-least engage reverse thrust) once at-least 2 wheels are on the ground.

Not in a 172 they don't.;)

But seriously I think he means leaving some power on until the main wheels touch down. This will certainly lead to softer landings than chopping the power and then trying to flare at exactly the right point to achieve a soft touchdown, but, and I don't know the 172 (read the Pilots Operating Handbook) this may not be the approved technique of Cessna. The danger is achieving that soft touchdown at some considerable length down the runway due to floating in ground effect with power on. Again, read the POH and if you are still at a flying school ask one of the instructors on type who will probably be more than happy to chat it over with you over a cup of coffee (bought by you of course!)whilst the thunderstorm passes........................!

PP

Pilotage
19th Jul 2003, 00:20
Ah Pete, if you'd been at the Popham microlight fair this year you'd have seen the CH601 with reverse thrust. Watching that being reversed into parking slots for the next customer demo flight was a real pleasure.

Seriously, I agree power during the flare is a great way for a soft landing - until you hit the hedge at the far end.

P

dublinpilot
19th Jul 2003, 02:01
I used to fly a Tampico (TB9). This one was quite heavy, and every instructor I had on it, insisted on leaving some power on during the flare.

I guess it suits some airplanes, and not others.

Pilot Pete
19th Jul 2003, 02:28
db

That was my point exactly.

PP